Parting Gifts

They marched for several hours until they reached the River. The sun was shining and it was a very pleasant day. They were all now clad in cloaks of the Galadhrim, gifts from the Lady Galadriel and her hand maidens. Once they reached the boats, they were stopped by Galadriel and Celeborn.

"Come and eat with us one last time," Celeborn entreated.

And so they ate and drank and were merry beneath the Mellyrn trees. Galadriel and Celeborn drank the Cup of farewell and offered it to the company. Taking it, they drank a final drink.

"Before you leave, gifts I will bestow upon you, such as we can offer," Galadriel smiled.

To Merry and Pippin, she gave daggers of the Noldor. To Boromir, a belt of gold. To Sam, a box of soil from her gardens. To Legolas, a bow of the Galadhrim. Gimli asked, after Galadriel insisted he tell her, for a strand of hair. She gave him three. Aragorn's gift was the Elessar gemstone. Frodo received the Star of Eärendil. At last she came to Miril.

"I do not know what more I can give you, Miril Lominzil. I have nothing but this to give," Galadriel smiled.

The Lady of the Galadhrim was handed a box from her handmaiden that stood behind her. Inside, Galadriel showed Miril a black and silver gem-covered brooch shaped like a fancy star. She drew it out.

"This belongs to Elrohir. He asked we give it to you when I felt the time was right. It is a pledge of his friendship and love to you."

Miril felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I will wear it with pride."

Galadriel smiled and with a nod, pinned it go her chest. Galadriel found it almost funny, but sad also. Both her granddaughter and one of her grandsons had fallen in love with someone who was either cursed or mortal. She had to watch as they walked down paths she could not follow with them. It almost broke her heart.

"And one more thing, Miril," Galadriel said. "Take this sword. It was mine from my younger days. It will serve you better than that short dwarf blade."

"My lady," Miril gasped as she saw the sword and scabbard.

The sword was a pale metal with a mithril hilt inlaid with one onyx stone. The scabbard was black with mithril runes carved into it. Miril gaped at the beauty of it.

"Take it." Galadriel insisted. "Do not worry, I have others. This one was crafted by Fëanor himself in Valinor. This is why I feel it best if you take it. It was meant for you."

"Many thanks, my lady. I can never repay you," Miril shook her head in disbelief.

Galadriel took her hand. "Destroy the forces of evil. Use that sword to right the wrongs Fëanor committed. Show that to Maglor when you find him, and he will know your claims are true."

Miril nodded and stepped back to join the Fellowship. Everyone was ready to leave, but at the same time, none were. No one wanted to leave Lothlorien, but all knew it was time. Aragorn especially was saddened. He knew in his heart that he would not return.

They loaded into their boats. Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam went first. Boromir, Merry and Pippin were in the middle. In the last boat went Legolas, Gimli, and Miril.

"Namarië!" Galadriel called to them in ancient Elvish which meant "farewell."

They said farewell in return and began paddling down the stream. After about an hour, they finally left the woods and joined up with Anduin. The journey South had begun in earnest.

Because of their separate boats, Miril was constrained to conversation with Gimli and Legolas. This was not a bad thing, but she wasn't as close to them as she was even to Merry and Pippin. Nevertheless, she supposed she'd have to make the most of it.

"What did the Lady gift you with, Miril," Legolas asked her from where he sat at the front of the boat.

She smiled. "An heirloom of her Elrohir and a sword of ancient elf make."

"Can I see the sword," Gimli asked. "I'm curious about the craftsmanship."

Miril nodded and passed the sword in its scabbard to Gimli. He drew it out and gasped audibly.

"That is a mithril hilt! No wonder it is so light." Gimli looked at it. "However I would not trade my gift even for a sword made of pure mithril!"

"And what was your gift, my friend?" Legolas asked him.

"Three strands of the Lady Galadriel's silver golden hair. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen." Gimli sighed longingly. "I shall treasure it forever."

They travelled mostly in silence for the rest of the day. Miril and Legolas handled the oars in their boat. It was monotonous work, but somewhat soothing. It gave her time to think about what she would do in Gondor. She would have to hope Boromir gave her his blessing to investigate the Archives. A lot hinged on that.

When darkness fell, Aragorn ordered they go ashore. They pulled the boats up onto the shore and hid the baggage under them. Lying beside the boats was their best bet for cover. So they did so. For though there were still patches of trees along the river, the boats added to the shelter.

"Miril and I shall take first watch," Aragorn told the company. "The rest of you, get some sleep."

The company didn't need to be told twice. They were soon asleep, leaving Miril and Aragorn to keep watch over them.

"I fear the Enemy has not been idle while we rested in Lorien, Aragorn," Miril said solemnly.

He nodded. "Indeed you speak truly. There shall be peril before we reach Rauros and the Tindrock Isle."

They sat in silence for a long while, content with each other's company and busy looking out for threats. At last, Aragorn broke the silence.

"I saw the sword," he said. "But what else did the Lady Galadriel give to you?"

Miril pulled back her cloak and showed Aragorn the brooch of Elrohir. He smiled, knowing instantly what it was. He almost laughed at how Elrohir was hinting his love for Miril so subtly that Aragorn figured neither even realized it.

"A fitting gift," Aragorn voiced his approval.

"I thought so."

They went back to their silent vigil, quietly watching for anything out of the ordinary. Only once did either notice anything. Two pale, lamp like eyes seemed to float on the water, but as soon as Aragorn pointed to them, they disappeared. They paid closer attention after that. But nothing appeared.