The Council of Gondor

A/N: Hey guys! Just letting you know that there's now a trailer up for part 2 of this fanfic (Post-War of the Ring portion) on YouTube. Those of you who read my Marvel fics know this is something I used to do all the time. Well I finally found good footage for this fic. It's called "The Other Ranger - Part Two - Fanfic Trailer" and my username is Silmaril Z. Check it out! Let me know what you think here or on there!

Miril walked into the meeting room slowly and pointedly. It was a large room with a round table in the center, around which ten places were set, yet only seven were filled. Aragorn, Imrahil, Faramir, Althea, Golasgil, Angbor, and Duinhir all sat wait for Miril to arrive. Miril took her place. The two empty seats were for two representatives who were unable to attend and forfeited their vote and counsel.

"Now that we are all here," Aragorn nodded. "I will explain why I call you each."

Miril looked at him expectantly along with the others.

He continued, "It has come to my attention that there is a growing threat in the South, particularly Harad and Khand. An attempt on my life was made a little over a week ago. We believe it to be supernatural and magical in origin, or something even more sinister."

"Are you alright, my lord," Golasgil asked in concern. "Were you harmed?"

"No." Aragorn shook his head. "I escaped unscathed thanks to the quick response of some assembled here."

They looked as he gestured to Miril. They both knew he was exaggerating her involvement in the matters, but she understood what he was trying to do so she went along with it. If the three here were unfamiliar and unsure of her, a woman who looked no older than twenty, they were much less likely to sanction her going off and saving the world.

Miril would also avoid revealing her pregnancy to them. Even Elrohir and Aragorn were unaware of this fact, and she planned to keep it that way until they were well on their way south and east. Nothing would keep her from completing her appointed task.

"So what do you intend to do, my lord," Duinhir asked expectantly.

Aragorn took a breath before continuing. "We have a lead. The person who attacked us was possessed. We believe he became possessed by this new threat in the Mountains of Shadow south of the Sea of Nurnen. I intend to send a small party there to investigate."

"Who, lord?" asked Angbor.

"Myself and the Queen's brothers, my lords. Is that not correct, lord Aragorn?" Miril answered for her friend and king.

The three men looked utterly unconvinced and overall entirely surprised.

"With all due respect, Lady Miril," Golasgil looked at her with skepticism. "How old are you? You looked barely older than an adolescent. Someone with more experience should go."

Aragorn nearly hid his face. Miril's grew bright red in anger. Her eyes set hard upon this man who was not very old himself.

"I am much older than my appearance would suggest, Lord Golasgil," she hissed at his name. "I am nearly forty years old. I was hunting orcs in the north while you were still crawling."

"Miril speaks truly," Althea jumped to her friend's aid. "Lady Miril has been a companion of mine for many years. She is a fine warrior and the best tracker I have had a privilege to know."

Angbor nodded. "This is all well and good, of course. But sending three people with elven blood down south could be a doomed sentence. They aren't fond of elven kind down there."

"Who would you send, then, Lord Angbor?" Aragorn asked him politely.

"My son Aeglin is an excellent tracker as well," suggested the lord. "I would be willing to send him for the protection of my king."

Golasgil was still silent in his seat, shamefully having been put in his place. Duinhir, Imrahil, and Faramir all opened their mouths to speak, but in the end it was Imrahil who spoke first.

"I for one am in favor of sending the half-elven lords and lady. Men of Gondor are hated even more than elven kind down in the South and East. With proper story, they just might pass as fugitives."

Duinhir narrowed his eyes in contemplation. "Send the two princes yes, but not the lady. She is not strong enough."

"How can you be certain," Faramir countered for her. "Have you seen her in battle? Have you bested her yourself? I for one believe that she and the sword she wields to be a particularly deadly combination that you would be frightened to see the other end of. Have more faith in her, Lord Duinhir. She is of a kin to your king after all. She is a Dunedain ranger!"

That shut the conversation up quite quickly. Aragorn nodded with a small smile.

"Thank you, Prince Faramir." He gestured to Miril. "It is decided then. If you will, Lady Miril, you will journey south and east to the far reaches of Middle Earth. Begin first in Mordor. With you will go Princes Elladan and Elrohir. You leave within the week."

Aragorn stood and so did they all after him. He walked out of the room and Miril, in defiance, went immediately after him, cutting off Lords Duinhir and Golasgil. The indignant expression on the former's face assured Miril, had she had any doubt, that she had made an enemy in that lord. No matter to her, though. If she survived this grand adventure, she would prove them all wrong a dozen times over.

At this point, she was just over a month and a half pregnant. She knew that the gestation period for elves was longer than that of men, so she assumed she still had nine or ten months before she was to give birth to their child. That gave plenty of time for their journey. After all, the ring journey took merely a year, and they had many stops along the way for months at a time.

No, she would be fine. There was nothing to worry about. For now, the only thing she had to worry about was telling Aragorn that she and the twins would need to go to the White Mountains first. She had neglected to reveal their plans for Maglor before the council. But as of now, the idea was to locate him first and try to find the Silmaril to stop the evil in the south. Perhaps a difficult task, but a necessary one.