Day Has Come Again

With the first orc, Miril felt alive again. Its shrill scream of agony as it died on her blade oddly invigorated her. She felt ready to fight, and to die if necessary. But she would take a hundred of them with her if she did go down. They would suffer her wrath.

One orc after the next felt the cold bite of Galmegil. Beside her was Elrohir on one side and Aragorn on the other. Anduril was shining bright, a light in the darkness of Mordor. Miril caught sight of the blue attire that Prince Imrahil was wearing not far off. He was an incredibly skilled warrior.

Miril sidestepped a large orc and cackled as she sliced his throat. But suddenly she heard a roar and turned back. She sighed and readjusted her grip on Galmegil. For in front of her was a large battle troll.

"A little help here," she shouted to the Twins who were distracted.

They turned to look at what she wanted and spat out some curses in elvish. Racing over, Elladan and Elrohir stood to either side of her. They faced the troll together.

"This is probably really stupid," she shouted to them after a few minutes of dodging a spiked club. "Just go with it."

"What in Eru's name?!" Elladan yelled as she raced forward and leapt up onto the troll's back. "What are you doing?"

Elrohir shook his head as he dodged another blow from the troll. The armor was too thick for them to get through from where they were standing so Miril had decided to take matters into her own hands. The spikes on the armor made things difficult, but also helped her stay on. They offered easy footholds as she climbed the troll's back, but one false step and that would be the end. She had never imagined her death would be impaling on troll armour. That had not even entered her mind, until now.

"Over here, Servant of Mordor," Elrohir screamed at the troll when it tried to dislodge Miril.

He stabbed it in the foot and the troll roared in fury. Miril cursed as she was thrown about but she managed to climb the last few steps up to the area between it's body armour and helmet. She plunged Galmegil deep into the troll's neck, killing it all but instantly. She leapt off the beast as it fell, falling on the ground in a heap as she struggled to stand up. Imrahil, racing over, stabbed an orc that was about to jump her. He then offered Miril a hand up.

"You alright?" He asked her quickly. "That was good work."

Miril caught her breath as she stood beside Prince Imrahil. She nodded her thanks and turned to see where the Sons of Elrond were. She spotted them taking on a rather large group of Haradrim warriors.

"Shall we?" Miril gestured to them.

Imrahil nodded. "Let's."

The two warriors sweapt into the fray once more, hacking at the men of Harad. Miril held a special hatred for these Southern men. They had killed her father and she would not soon forget that.

She found herself matched up against a particularly quick fighter. This Haradrim was smaller than the others, slimmer too. When Miril finally locked eyes with the warrior, she was shocked to find herself looking into the eyes of a fellow woman. The slight lapse in concentration gave the Haradrim ttime to land a blow on her arm, though Miril dodged the worst of it. Without even a second thought and despite the blood now trickling down her arm, Miril swung at the woman and hacked off her head. There was no mercy here. Just death.

Miril grabbed the cut on her arm in pain and tried to back out of the worst of the fighting. She spotted Éomer near the left hill surrounded by his Eorlingas and the Rohirrim. She also caught sight of Pippin and Beregond of Gondor near Gandalf. She was about to search out Aragorn when it happened.

The screech was so loud and horrific that men stopped and covered their ears. Not far above them circled the Nazgûl on their fellbeasts, and three were descending. Men fled before their terrifying countenance. They landed in a triangle around Miril. She felt the chill of Khamûl's hand on her throat as if it was really there. She shivered in fear but raised Galmegil in front of her in challenge.

Fortunately she didn't need to face them alone this time. With a cry of "Elendil!," Aragorn leapt alongside Gandalf between Miril and two of the Nazgûl. Now it was just one she had to deal with.

She swung her sword and the clash of good on evil was astonishingly loud. But her movements were sluggish not in the least because of the slash on her sword arm. Fortunately for her, Gandalf had driven his Nazgûl back to the skies and leapt to her side. Aragorn followed suit and moved her out of the way as he and Gandalf drove the third Nazgûl away.

"How's your arm?" He asked quickly as Gandalf came over.

"Hurts," she muttered. "But I am alright."

"Can you keep fighting?" Aragorn asked her immediately.

She glared. "Of course!"

They split up, Miril turning back to handle the orcs nearby. Aragorn and Gandalf went back to the front. Miril found herself fighting beside Éomer and Imrahil now.

Up on a hill stood Gandalf and Aragorn beneath the Banner of Elessar. Suddenly a cry was let out.

"The Eagles are coming! The Eagles!"

Aragorn raised Anduril to the sky as he watched the Eagles fly over head. He shouted to his soldiers as the Nazgûl screeched and feld to Mount Doom at the final bidding of their master.

"Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom!"

Even as Aragorn called out this pronunciation, the ground shook and they watched as the Black Gates collapsed. Miril looked on in awe as the ground cracked around her and the orcs began falling into a newly opened chasm. Mount Doom in the distance belched and spat lava, exploding in the dark sky. Miril felt tears stinging her eyes as she smiled.

"Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!" She shouted loudly. "Day has come again!"

The Black Gate had crumbled to the ground and they watched as the Tower of Barad-dûr fell to the ground, crashing into oblivion. Frodo had done it. The quest was complete. Miril raised Galmegil to the sky and cried out again. She grabbed a soldier that stood beside her and hugged him. Tears were streaming down her face in joy of the victory and pain from the cut on her arm.

Elrohir and Elladan met up with Miril moments later. Elrohir grabbed her and planted a kiss on her lips. She grabbed him in a hug and laughed. The servants of Sauron were gone, the world was free once more. The shouts and cheers on the battle field spread far and wide.

Elladan took the time to wrap her arm with a tear of her cloak as they stood reveling. Once her cut was compressed, they walked over to where Aragorn was. He explained that Gandalf had ridden Gwaihir to find Frodo and Sam. Prince Imrahil and Éomer also joined them. It was somewhat sobering to think about the threat that Frodo and Sam were still under. But nevertheless, no matter what happened, Sauron was gone from Middle Earth forever.