The Next Step

Miril realized at that moment that there were bigger things to worry about than who had known her lineage. She stared at Galadriel in shock at that news that had just been shared.

"How can a Silmaril return?" Miril asked, quivering.

Galadriel took a deep breath and released it. "Seas and lands shift. It is possible that with the sinking of Numenor, the land beneath the waves was moved to where the jewel could someday be recoverable."

"That's one reason Gandalf protested to ridding the world of the Ring by throwing it in the Sea. It would never be truly gone." Aragorn nodded. "I suppose the Silmaril was like this as well."

Miril walked a few paces away and leaned on a natural wall of rock and earth. She sighed audibly and shook her head before turning back to face the other two.

"What must I do, my Lady? There was a voice that spoke in Quenya, and only now after thinking it over do I believe I've figured out what it said."

Galadriel nodded for her to continue.

"When at once the servant of the Black Foe is gone, three must set forth. Find the oath breaker and retrieve the jewel at last. Face the darkness that will rise in the South and East with the light of Valinor."

Aragorn and Galadriel both looked thoughtful. Aragorn spoke first. He seemed hesitant but decided it best to say what was on his mind.

"The Oath breaker... Maglor perhaps?" Aragorn turned to Galadriel. "Could he still be alive, my Lady?"

"It is possible, I suppose. He is not too much older than I," Galadriel nodded. "In the end it is true he broke his oath by getting rid of the Silmaril, by letting it go."

Miril looked disgusted. "I want nothing to do with a kinslayer."

Galadriel flashed a tiny smile. "They weren't always kinslayers, Miril. Maglor was a good friend of mine in Valinor. He had such a beautiful voice."

"But he killed kinsmen!"

Galadriel's face hardened. "What he and his brothers did was reprehensible. Do not think I believe otherwise. Many of my companions and friends were killed in their raids. But it is possible he has had time to lament and repent of his actions."

Miril supposed she spoke truly. Over two ages had passed since Maglor had last engaged in an act of kinslaying.

"However the more immediate threat is most certainly the Ring," Galadriel said firmly. "We will continue to gather information about the Silmaril's reemergence, but until then, you must aid the Ring-bearer's quest."

Aragorn and Miril both heartily agreed. The Ring came first. Sauron had to be destroyed. Then Miril could go off in search of her destiny as a Fëanorian.

"You shall rest here in Lothlorien for some time," Galadriel told them as they left the Mirror behind and walked back through the Gardens. "You will know when the time is right to leave."

Miril and Aragorn bowed to Galadriel in farewell. The sun would be rising soon and they desired to catch a couple hours more of sleep.

"Thank you, my Lady," Miril told her. "Your help has been invaluable."

Galadriel smiled. "I only wish that what we found was not so dark and steeped in danger and mystery."

Aragorn and Miril left Galadriel's presence and retreated to the tents on the green. The sun was beginning to shine through the trees very subtly. The whole fellowship, minus Legolas, was still asleep. Aragorn turned to Miril.

"Miril you must know that you are like family to me." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "I did what I thought was best for you. Not because I do not trust you. But because I do not trust this world."

Miril sighed sadly. "I know, Aragorn. I know."

Aragorn smiled at her softly before turning away to lie down.

"Aragorn," she interjected.

He turned back to her, a questioning look his face. What did she need?

Miril shuffled her feet. "Do you think Elladan and Elrohir will still trust me despite the knowledge I have gained?"

Aragorn smiled and walked back over.

"Those two will never leave you, Miril. Elladan, he thinks of you like another sister. And Elrohir..." Aragorn wanted to choose his next words carefully. "Elrohir cares very deeply about you. You wouldn't be able to rid yourself of them so easily, no matter what you did."

She smiled softly and nodded back at him. Miril went to lie down on the lounging couch she had claimed for herself. She lay down on the soft cushions and allowed her head to sink into her pillow. Sleep came easily to her that night, a rarity as of recent.

Many days went by in Lothlorien that were filled with relaxation and peace. The hobbits often explored on their own while Miril rested and allowed her arm and back to heal. Aragorn often accompanied Miril on her adventures outside and around Caras Galadhon. Boromir was wary of doing anything with the elves while Gimli spent increasingly more time with Legolas. The two had become good friends.

Miril also found herself deep in the planning of the defense of Lothlorien based on what she had learned near Dol Guldor. Celeborn asked her to relay the information to the leaders of the Galadhrim guard. So she did so, telling them all she could about the type of orcs, their number, and their leaders.

When at last the day was coming for the Fellowship to leave Lothlorien, a major question came up. What would Miril do? Would she join the Fellowship on their journey South, or remain in Lothlorien to help guard against attack?

"Nine there were that set out from Rivendell," Celeborn said as the Fellowship and Miril stood before him and his wife. "Nine for the riders of shadow. Nine there shall be again."

"Miril will join the company of the Ring," Galadriel said. "Elrond and Gandalf were very specific about the number and rightly so. Therefore we appoint you, Miril, to fill the remaining position."

Miril nodded, understanding the gravity of this appointment. While there was no way she could fill the hole left by Gandalf's absence, she would do her best.

What she knew that only Aragorn and the monarchs were also aware of, was that she was meant to accompany Boromir to Gondor to investigate her visions. Any hint as to where Maglor could be found would be useful, and perhaps could be found in Gondor's archives. But until then, she was sworn to help the Ring-bearer.

Much was spoken of, and in the end Celeborn decided that since they knew not their final destination, whether it be West or East, he bestowed upon them three boats.

"Sleep now," he commanded. "In the morning, Haldir shall show you to the River. There we shall say farewell."

"Let not your hearts be troubled," Galadriel said. "Rest tonight, think not of the road ahead."

They all, including Legolas, returned to the tents where they took counsel with one another. However though they talked deep into the night, nothing came of it, and in the end they decided sleep was needed. The march to the River would be tomorrow.