On the Gladden

A/N: Don't forget that this is the second chapter I've published today. Make sure you've read the previous one!

The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself.

- Eddie Vedder

We must leave soon," Glorfindel addressed the company. "Take twenty minutes to pack and then be ready to leave."

They were in for a long trek down the Anduin. They hoped to reach the Gladden Fields within three days' time. From there, Elladan, Elrohir, and Miril would continue South another nine or ten days to Lothlorien.

Food was stocked up from what Grimbeorn was willing to part with. They gathered their belongings and saddled their horses. Grimbeorn was there to see them off.

"I wish you luck. Be sure to slay many orcs along your way." He waved to them for a moment as they rode off.

"Thank you, again, for your hospitality, son of Beorn. We could not have done this without your help." Glorfindel bowed to him before mounting Asfaloth and riding after the others.

Reaching the river soon enough, they turned right to head south. Much of the trip was spent in relative silence, with only the sound of the rushing water beside them. That sound reminded Miril of the Sea in her dreams.

She had been to the Grey Havens a few times in her life so she had seen the ocean. The ship of her dreams resembled the ships that Cirdan and his folk built, but wasn't exactly the same. It had a more defined swan-shape. Almost like the stories she'd heard about the swan ships of Alqualondë from long, long ago.

But why was she dreaming of a red Sea and sky? It was almost as if the sea was stained with blood. Ominous, indeed. She was curious as to how this related to the other important part of her dreams, the shining jewel.

It was always about the size of her palm, diamond like but iridescent. It seemed to produce its own light from within. It was pure, unadulterated, beautiful white light, untouched by the red of the Sea. She got the sense that it was very old and very special.

"We'll stop here and give our horses a break. Be sure to eat something," Glorfindel said, snapping Miril out of her ruminations.

They did as instructed, allowing their horses to graze and drink from the river Anduin while they hid from prying eyes beneath some trees.

"I can't wait until we reach the Gladden river. It is slow enough to bathe in," Miril muttered to herself as she sat down, looking at the perfectly good water of the Anduin that was moving just a little too fast to be safe for wading.

"At least we can refill our water daily. The Anduin is good for that at least," Elladan reminded her as he sat down beside her against a tree trunk, a piece of bread and an apple in hand.

She nodded. "I suppose."

She took a bite of the pear she had grabbed from her food bag. The fresh fruit tasted wonderful to her starving stomach. Grimbeorn certainly had been a generous host, if a bit abrasive and brash sometimes. However she certainly had not been sorry to say goodbye to the beehives he maintained.

"I am glad to finally be heading South," said Elrohir as he came over to sit as well. "Each step is a step closer to Lothlorien."

"And hopefully a step closer to answers," Miril murmured quietly.

"Answers will come, Miril, but you must be patient." Elladan placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure you will find what you are looking for soon enough."