A New Mission

Galadriel and Miril had descended the great Mallorn tree and were walking in the moonlit grass of Caras Galadhon. Miril finally worked up the courage to speak about the dreams.

"My lady," she began. "My dreams have been plagued by mysterious symbols that I cannot decipher."

"What might those be?" Galadriel asked softly.

"I dream of a red sea and sky, red like blood." Miril told her quietly. "Then always there is a ship, shaped like a swan and purely white. It sits in the water as if waiting for me."

Galadriel nodded. "But there is something more, I sense."

Miril nodded. "Indeed. In the sand of the shore, being washed over by the blood red sea, is a jewel. Large, shining white. The most beautiful gem I have ever seen."

Galadriel's feet faltered in their step. She froze for a split second, her face alarmed. But she recovered almost instantly.

"A gem you say. How large?" Galadriel inquired of her.

"About the size of my palm, maybe a little smaller." Miril held out her hand.

"And that is all?" Galadriel asked her quickly, a bit too quickly perhaps as Miril looked somewhat intrigued by the Lady's reaction.

"I also get this... feeling. Like I have to choose something, though I know not what." Miril sighed. "The twins thought you could assist me in deciphering it."

Galadriel nodded. Inside she was much more concerned than she let on about. The circumstances of this dream were too perfect for it to be coincidental. The one dreaming, the event being dreamed of. It was too connected.

There was little doubt in Galadriel's mind as to what this dream meant, should it come true. And for the first time in a very long time, she remembered, in detail, her younger days. The days of Beleriand and Valinor. The days of Alqualondë and Tol Eressëa. Days so bittersweet that she couldn't decide if she'd rather relive them or forget them entirely. The days of the silmarils and the War of the Jewels.

"I shall think on what you have revealed to me, young one." Galadriel turned to Miril. "These things take time."

"How long, my lady?" Miril asked sadly.

Galadriel smiled. "When the right time comes, I will be ready. For now, rest. I have a task for you tomorrow that I think you will take on gladly, though it may mean a delay in returning to Rivendell."

Miril smiled and nodded. "Thank you, my lady."

Miril had been shown to a tent that had been erected with couches for her and the Twins to sleep on. She lay down and closed her eyes, letting her dreams take over once again.

When she woke, it was midday already. Elladan and Elrohir were nowhere to be seen, most likely in conference with their grandparents. Miril decided it best to stay put until someone came to fetch her.

As it turned out, it was a young elfling who came to her first.

"Lady Miril," she bowed to the half elf. "Your presence is requested by the Lord and Lady. Please follow me!"

Doing as she was asked, Miril made the long climb up the largest Mallorn until she at last reached the Talan. The elfling showed her to a small house atop an adjacent talan that was connected to the main one.

Inside where the Twins and the Lord and Lady.

"Miril, take a seat." Celeborn pointed to an empty chair around the table they sat at. "We have something to ask of you."

Miril looked quizzically at the four faces before her as she sat down. What could they want?

"Our grandsons have told us of the impending quest of the Ring. But also, they mentioned something else. The creature Gollum is on the loose." Celeborn continued. "We have reason to believe he is residing in Southern Mirkwood, or at least that's where he was last spotted by our scouts."

"I will go after him," Miril butt in. "I tracked him once ten years ago, I can do it again."

Galadriel smiled. "Such was our hope. We will gird you with our raiment and supplies to aid you. And be warned, Southern Mirkwood is a deadly, dangerous place. When you find him, bring him here. Alive."

Miril nodded, her mind set on but one thing now. She would capture that wicked little fiend. She didn't understand both Galadriel's and Gandalf's insistence that he be kept alive, but they were certainly more wise than she so she would obey them.

"When should I leave," she asked.

"As soon as you are ready." Celeborn nodded.

Galadriel spoke up, "I shall have your supplies restocked by tomorrow morning and raiment brought to you as well. After all, your current attire has seen better days."

Miril looked down at her Ranger garb in confusion before she noticed just how much blood had stained it. She smiled at Galadriel.

"I suppose that is true."

The three half elves were dismissed and went to rest one last night. Elladan and Elrohir told Miril that they would be leaving Lothlorien tomorrow to return to Rivendell.

"One can get stuck in Lothlorien far too easily if one isn't careful," Elladan reminded her. "Time flows differently here."

"Besides, we must cross the mountains as soon as we can and from here it is about a three week journey," Elrohir reminded her.

"Agreed." Miril nodded and lay back on the couch she had claimed, her head on a fluffy pillow. "I shall leave tomorrow as well."

"Be careful near Dol Guldor, Mir. It's a dangerous place." Elrohir was very concerned.

Dol Guldor had been abandoned, as far as anyone knew, since the White Council had driven the Necromancer out many years before. Of course it hadn't done much in the long run since Sauron had seen it coming, but at least that threat was no longer so close to Lothlorien. For many years the shadow of Southern Mirkwood had retreated, but it was growing again and as far as the general public was concerned, there was very little explanation. Perhaps the Lord and Lady knew why, but no one else did.

"I'll be careful, you know I will."

The brothers looked at her skeptically. Care was not one of Miril's most common attributes. She was prone more to rash action than careful thinking.

"The Lord and Lady trust me," she protested.

They shrugged in unison. They were distracted from the conversation when an elven maiden came forward bearing the tunic of the Galadhrim and a cloak also of grey.

"Pardon me, my lords and lady," the maiden bowed. "I bring clothing for the Lady Miril from Lady Galadriel."

Miril smiled and took the robes. "Thank you."

The maiden nodded and retreated away into Caras Galadhon. Miril went behind the couch and changed her dirty dunedain gear for the better Galadhrim raiment. When she was finished, she came around and showed it off to the Twins.

"You look like a Galadhrim." Elrohir nodded in approval.

"Except for the dark hair and shorter stature, yes," Elladan pointed out with a smile.

Miril rolled her eyes. "Obviously."

Elladan and Elrohir smiled at her as they both reclined on couches. Someone brought food to them and they shared dinner. Miril, though she longed to walk Caras Galadhon, knew she must rest for her quest that would begin tomorrow. As such after eating, she lay down to sleep. Tomorrow would be a long day of travel and the danger would increase exponentially. She would need to rely on speed and stealth for this mission, not force or strength. It was a welcome change to the brute attacks she had dealt with recently.

But Dol Guldor would prove to be more than a match for Miril.