Chapter 37

Niall

I returned to my hotel room. Louis kicked me out and it wasn't surprising since our situation. But part of me hoped he'd want my presence. To be there for him in this special time of his life. But I wasn't allowed to be. I got kicked to the curb and returned to my hotel room, to my empty bed with a bottle of beer. It's not like I've been drinking my sorrows away, I haven't. I've been dealing with it fairly well. Louis hasn't though. It makes me wonder if I really loved him as much as I claimed to. 

Resting against my bedhead, I brought the beer to my lips and took a swig, feeling a faint vibrate in the front pocket of my jeans. I reluctantly pulled out the phone, seeing Harry's name on the screen with a text. I didn't pay much attention, but I saw Louis's name and that was enough to pay attention and open the message. 

From Harry:
I don't know what's up with you 2 but Louis is in a bad state. You need to sort it out ASAP

I sighed heavily. Louis was always in a bad state, with me he was better. My hand was itching to text or call him. I had been wanting to interact with him for so long and seeing him today made me realise how much I missed it. 

To Harry:
Why what's wrong?

I waited patiently for Harry to reply to me.

From Harry: 
You should really talk to him, I can't say. He needs you

Should I risk being hung up on? I took another sip of my beer and looked at my phone. "Fuck it" I grumbled and typed Louis's number in. I remembered it. I had a thing for remembering details like that. I pressed 'call' and brought the device to my ear. It began to ring and my nerves went through the roof. 

Then it stopped, he picked up. But it wasn't him, he was there, but he didn't speak. "Hello?" his American accent filled my ears. A soft whimper rang through as well breathless pants. 

"Who is it?" Louis asked. Voice wrecked. I've heard that sound so many times before. My heart was breaking. 

"I-is Louis there? It's Niall" it went quiet. I imagine the mystery guy was asking if Louis wanted to speak to me. I will remember what he said for quite some time to come. 

"No, now let's finish" the phone was ruffled around and placed somewhere. The bed it sounded like, but I was still online. I didn't understand why I didn't hang up but I didn't, and I could hear the faint sounds of Louis with another man. Being pleasured. 

I was torturing myself. Not hanging up the phone. I didn't understand why I had allowed myself to stay online and listen. I guess I missed him. Wanted to hear his voice, even if it was filled with moans of another man's name. I was stupid to believe this was the best choice. Not to talk about our issues like he suggested we do.

Tears pooled in my eyes and I finally found it in me to hang up, just as I heard Louis moan out - beautifully I may add - the American males name. I gently threw my phone next to me on my bed and slid on to my side, not caring that the bottle of beer was now on the ground leaving a sure stain on the carpet, I pulled my pillow close to me. I wish I had something that smelt like him. To hold it next to me while I cried to myself at what failure I was. All those people all those years ago are right. I'm not worth being where I am. I don't deserve the chance to be in this band with these people. 

I closed my teary eyes, quietly sobbing myself into dreadful sleep. 

Louis sat on my couch, legs lying across the chair with a notepad in his hand and pencil in the other, scribbling words onto the lined paper. I walked in to the living room furious. Steam would have been leaving my ears if it were a cartoon. Louis's happy demeanor changed almost instantly as he looked up - a beautiful smile on his lips - to me.