Alone Together

Sinthar

I awoke to the sounds of screaming from outside. My eyes flew open, glowing a bright, alarmed white. "What's going on?!" I whispered, sitting up and bolting towards the door. My eyes rested on Shattrath City, of which was in flames. I cursed and turned to the Sin'dorei.

"Awaken Viper!" I yelled to get his attention. It worked, and I saw the blood elf sit up quickly and glance about with worry. He leaned over and inspected his giant serpent, not amused by this sudden interruption to rest. I cleared my throat. "The city is under attack again," I muttered. The blood elf let out a loud sigh.

"Of course it is. Well, we need to help them," he answered simply. By the stars, was that his response to everything? I smiled, though, because thus far it seemed to be working. Hopefully we could keep it this way. We hurriedly exited the Inn and rushed to the center of the city. Several buildings were charred, and smoke clouded the air with a thick grey fog. I coughed, glancing back to see if my companion was OK. Seeing that he held just fine, I looked forward and spotted a beam of light piercing through the thick smoke.

My eyes narrowed slightly as I began to walk through it. I bit my lip when we broke through the fog, for it revealed two gigantic elemental demons made of fire. They blazed brightly as they threw massive fireballs at everything, setting anything they touched ablaze. I narrowed my eyes angrily, for this would be a challenge. "Think we can take them?" came the voice of the hunter. I turned to him in disbelief, noticing the dead serious frown on his face. If this city fell, everyone we tried to save would end up dead. Neither one of us wanted that to happen, and neither one of us had an actual plan. I took a deep breath and gave him a charming smile.

"Why not," I replied. I shifted into a huge panther, letting out a roar. I saw arrows whiz past me and land in the elementals. Really, I had no idea how this was going to work--but his determination motivated me. I saw Callow launch forward and sink his fangs into the elemental's 'chest'. He hissed in pain from the burns as his scales were seared, but he kept going anyway. I acted quickly and healed the serpent, trying as hard as I could to keep up with him.

Glancing back, I saw the hunter's hands glowing a bright green--he was healing Callow as well. I took this opportunity to slice at the sockets of the elementals. This would work if I could somehow sink my claws into the holes and rip their heads off. The elementals roared and backhanded me against a wall, but I refused to give up and rather shifted  into bird form. Summoning all of my power, I let out a loud screech and shifted into a whale for just a second as I hovered above them. Water poured from my maw onto the demons, managing to put out the upper halves of their bodies. I shifted back into a bird and flew at them before I free fell too far, dodging several fireballs.

Finally, I shifted into a large bear and sliced one down the middle. That was all it took--the elemental burst into flame for just a second and was put out. I could hear the blood elf fighting the other, and quickly turned to watch.

He looked as if he had been laughing for some odd reason. Curiously, I tilted my head, licking a paw and drawing it over my ears. He was staring right at me and trying to hold in a chuckle while he was shooting. Soon enough the other elemental was dead, but meanwhile he was doubled over with laughter. Alright... I needed to find out what was so funny.

Shifting to my night elf form, I strode over and looked at him with confusion. "What is it?" I asked, smiling somewhat. His laughter was contagious. The blood elf fixed me in a stare for half a second before cracking up all over again. I scratched my head, glancing to Callow in hopes of some elaboration. None came, as the large serpent appeared just as confused as I was.

Finally, the blood elf hunter stopped laughing just enough to tell me. "Y-you turned into...a huge giant whale...in the air...and blasted out water.... just the sheer randomness of it is so funny!" he sneered. I blinked, thinking for a moment before bursting out in laughter myself. As a matter of fact, that did sound really funny. It was serious at the time, but now I saw what he was getting at.

Before long we had both stopped laughing and examined our wounds. I had a few burns that I began to heal straight away. "Wait," Lue said. "I have some bandages!" he exclaimed, taking out his bag and withdrawing some gauze. I beamed, glad he was helping me. Truthfully I was almost out of mana from that battle, between healing and shifting of course.

"Thanks!" I chuckled, giving a huge smile. My happiness faded as I spotted A'dal floating towards us, holding a grim aura. Something was wrong, I felt it.

"The Legion is sending demons to Shattrath to halt you heroes," came her strong voice. The floating, glowing white creature seemed to be fixing both Lueran and I in a stare, though we couldn't see her eyes. "They targeted you both. I could tell by the aura shift when you arrived. They'd finally found you, but hadn't accomplished their goal to destroy you. I fear that the demons now have you in their sights as a potential threat. Your presence is a danger to the city. I request your leave," she finished.

I stared in disbelief, jaw dropped. Lueran was quiet, obviously deep in thought. I narrowed my eyes. "I thought the city was a refuge for all," I said plainly. A'dal's aura shifted to a deep regret.

"That it is. But I do not want to bring torment to it, and so, you must go, at least for now. The city needs to repair itself and heal those in need. If you leave, the siege from the demons might dwindle," A'dal sighed. I nodded in understanding, and slowly turned to the blood elf.

"We need to make our leave. I think we should seek out the demonic leader, figure out if it's Illidan, and find out what power whomever they are hold. Then, destroy the source of this issue once and for all," I explained. The blood elf nodded quietly. I sighed and turned away, leading us away from the sacred city. Well...at least we were helping it in some way. Yes, it was by leaving, but we did in fact eradicate a lot of the problem. We received no thanks--but needed none.

Lueran

I was fuming. We'd basically just saved the city, and they were kicking us out. It wasn't the leaving I had a problem with, but how they went about it wasn't right. I gritted my teeth and followed Sinthar closely. We were now alone, two elves against the world. Ironically, our kind was mortal enemies, yet we hadn't run into conflict yet. At least we had that.

"Are we going to seek out those bastards?" I asked in a tired voice. Sinthar turned and nodded, glancing around as if we were being watched.

"They need to be destroyed once and for all," he growled, determination in his voice. I gave a satisfied nod of agreement. This bullshit needed to stop. I walked along, glancing from Callow to Sinthar every so often. The night elf yawned and looked at me.

"We should prolly find someplace to sleep," I reasoned, looking around. There was nothing really except a long stretch of forest.

"There's a camp of alliance nearby, but I'm sure they won't accept you," he sighed. He looked upset about that and slumped against a tree.

"We can just make camp here," I suggested. Rummaging through my bag, I paused a moment before pulling out a large tent and sleeping bag. These bag mechanics were so helpful because they held anything in the slots no matter what size.

We pitched the tent and started the fire right as the sun began to set. I chuckled when I saw Callow coiled peacefully by the fire. Sinthar's curious voice broke the silence. "So....how did you get here?" he asked with some hesitance.

I looked to the sky and thought for a moment. "Well...I come from a place called Earth..." I started.