The Beginning...

What would happen if you were sucked into the video game--as a factionless character?

 PROLOGUE

Right, so most people don't believe my story. Heck, I hardly believe it myself. But what I'm about to reveal is all true, and it did happen. I still have a scar on my side from an arrow to prove it. One thing you must know is this: all computer games and books are hidden worlds, real realms that can be accessed if a computer is wired into portal. Don't believe me? That's fine. Just don't trust a nerd who loves the Alliance when you're a Hordie. Sure, some aren't that extreme when it comes to the faction war. But then again, some will try to get you killed over it.

I was eighteen when it happened. The day had started with a midsummer storm, which I took advantage of right away. A day full of gaming... World of Warcraft time! What fun, for sure. Unfortunately, my computer refused to turn on. That most certainly wouldn't do. 

Begrudgingly did I alert my parents to the journey ahead, where I'd bring the damn thing to the store. I had a proper license now, so after a quick ride, I arrived at BestBuy to take care of this ever-important matter. 

For a Saturday where rain drenched the land, the place was rather quiet. After scanning the store with confused hazel eyes, I realized that yes, they were open. That's when I spotted a man standing there behind the desk. His square-framed glasses were tinted, which hid his eyes from my view. He had skin pale like ivory, and it was clear he didn't get much sun. Not a hair was out of place from his slicked-back look, and his vibe was very offputting as I approached. He flashed me a smile, showing off some pristine white teeth. His name tag read, 'Drev'. Odd, but fine, I supposed.

"Nice jacket," he mused, staring at the Horde symbol upon my chest. His voice was edged, as if the compliment pained him. I tilted my head, and slowly a smirk crept across my face. I caught on relatively quickly, to be honest.

"Thanks. What's the matter, are you an Alliance player or something?" I muttered, running my black nails through my dyed dark red hair and placing my hands upon my hips. Judgement began seeping into my own tone, and rivalry began to spawn heavily. 

Our discussion only progressed from there. It was a back and forth on whether or not the Horde were villains, if the Alliance were Mary-Sue, whether or not some canon characters were in the wrong, and such like that. He had a particular interest in High Elves, for some reason, but I dismissed that. One thing he did say caught me off guard. 

"Besides... it's not the Alliance you need to worry about, dear. I'm sure the scourge will return and rise up again in lore. While the Alliance are the superior faction to the Horde, we all know Arthas was oh so close to winning the war," he purred, that sneer of his only widening. A shiver ran down my spine, and my gut warned me of some danger.

Ignoring this, I scoffed and accepted my now-repaired computer--he'd fixed it up just fine while we'd been talking. "Yeah yeah. Well, you take care, and thanks for fixing this," I replied after a pause.

"Don't mention it; have fun in Azeroth!" He called after me. Looking back, I noticed a sly grin that never faded from his face. I smiled back, a bit weirded-out but figuring this strange rivalry paired with that off feeling was perfectly normal.

Little did I know, I would meet up with him again rather soon.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

Hi there. This is a fanfiction I wrote many years ago that I'm returning to for major edits. Therefore, there will be name changes and character arcs that might take a different route. The premise will remain the same, but I want this story, since it seems to be popular, to reflect my REAL writing, not the nonsense I wrote back as a teenager. As such, things might be a bit confusing as I go through, but I plan on getting this done as quickly as possible.

©Des M. Astor. All references to World of Warcraft belong to blizzard. Character stories and plotlines are my ideas.