Part Thirty-Nine

It was late by the time I arrived in New Orleans, and I decided that maybe it would be more affective if I keep my presence there under wraps for now. I found a local, low budget hotel which would allow me to keep a low profile for the next day or two whilst I figured out how to play this.

I hadn't brought anything with me so I went straight to the nearest shop to pick up a few essentials - like a toothbrush and toothpaste - before heading back to the hotel room. I sat down on the squeaky bed and pulled out my phone, dialling Rebekah's number.

"Hello," She answered in her usual irritated tone.

"Rebekah, it's Becs," I replied, "Are you able to speak?"

"One second," She said and I heard her open and shut a door before she spoke again. "Are you here?"

"Yes, I just arrived not long ago. I've got a hotel room, I thought it might be wise to keep a low profile, maybe not let Klaus know I'm here," I explained.

"Yes, that might be wise," Rebekah sighed. "He's daggered Elijah and hid his coffin, I haven't been able to find it yet."

I bit my lip, this is what I had expected to happen but it didn't make it any easier. "Okay, so what else have you got? Any leads or anything at all?"

"He's buddying up to his old friend Marcel, have you met him?" She asked.

"Yes, he thought I was Klaus's girlfriend and put a stake through my heart - obviously not realising I was a hybrid," I rolled my eyes at his foolishness.

"Well, the two of them together could open a huge can of worms so I'm going to try and keep an eye on them - as well as looking for Elijah and the wolf girl with the miracle baby cooking inside her," Rebekah sounded annoyed as she mentioned Hayley and her baby. I knew Rebekah wanted nothing more than a normal human life - including children. She was feeling the same as I was about Klaus's baby. Jealousy.

"I'll have a snoop around town tomorrow and see what I can find out," I replied, not wanting to dwell on the subject of the miracle baby. "Text me if you get any more information, even if you think it's not relevant. I want to know everything."

I paced around my room for I don't know how long, trying to think over a plan of action, when my phone buzzed. I grabbed it and opened the text message in less then a second. It was Rebekah.

From Rebekah: Marcel has Elijah. He's taking me to see him. I'll call you afterwards.

Marcel. I should have guessed that he had something to do with it. Deciding that I would not be sleeping until I had Elijah back, I headed out into the night.

I wasn't sure where to go, I just knew I couldn't stay inside doing nothing. I ended up walking in the streets of the French Quarter, watching as the vampires without daylight rings came out to play. I stayed in the shadows and out of their way, not wanting to alert Marcel of my presence to early in the game. At the minute I had an advantage of being able to work under the radar, whereas if Marcel finds out I'm here he'll have people failing me everywhere.

It was interesting to see how they acted, so carefree in the night even amongst humans. In the end I sat on a bench watching the action from afar until morning.

*

I met up with Rebekah in a back street cafe the next day to discuss things in more detail. "He gave her to Marcel's secret weapon, a witch more powerful than I have ever seen," She told me angrily.

"But you saw where she's keeping him, right? We can go and get him together," I shook my head, trying to come up with a solution. She couldn't be strong enough to hold us both off, right?