Part Ten

We stayed in the cottage together for two days, until Elijah got a call from Elena saying she'd noticed he was out of the cellar and wanted to talk, she said that Niklaus had made his first move. I wanted to go with him to see her, but he refused me - saying that if he had to compel me to stay he would.

So, I waited anxiously for him, praying to every God there was that he wouldn't get hurt. The only thing keeping me sane was the fact that I had retrieved the dagger when I took it from Elijah's body and it was safely hidden in the cottage.

Over the past two days Elijah had been making me train non-stop in fighting Niklaus. Despite being killed he was more determined than ever to kill Niklaus, and he had all this pent up anger against my brothers and Elena for killing and betraying him so the fighting was intense. I was kind of glad for the break, he had kicked my ass too many times and was getting seriously annoying reprimanding me on it. I'd just saved his life, and all he could do was moan at me for not being good enough to beat Niklaus. Way to boost my confidence boyfriend.

I found a pencil and some paper and sat in the door way, sketching the outside world. The sun was shining, making the green leaves on the trees seem more vibrant. The flowers around the cottage bloomed into a beautiful array of colours, that my singular grey pencil could never capture. The white picket fence surrounding the cottage added to the picturesque look, making it's supernatural secrets hidden under the perfectly normal exterior of the cottage.

I sighed when I was finished, looking out longingly, wishing I could go outside. My new phone, that Elijah had given me after I brought him back to life, buzzed as it jumped to life alerting me I was receiving a call. I hurried over it knowing the only person who had the mobile number was Elijah. I answered it and pushed it to my ear, "Elijah, are you okay? What's going on? Are you coming back? How is Elena? What's the news about Niklaus?"

"Rebecca," Elijah said sternly, stopping my onslaught of questions.

"Sorry," I mumbled, "What did you want?"

"Just an update," He chuckled, "Elena and I have renewed the terms of our deal, she'll stay alive and I'll protect her loved ones. Niklaus is back, in Alaric Saltzman's body for now and he tried to - and thinks he did - kill Bonnie, but she's fine and she's alive. Elena is now with her Aunt Jenna, because Niklaus told her the truth about vampires."

"So what are you doing?" I asked, I wanted to know if he was okay.

"Just hanging around, waiting for her to come back so I can finish telling her our family history and informing her of the actual curse," He replied.

"Your telling her Niklaus is a hybrid... Are you telling her about me?" I chewed my lip nervously, worried about my family finding out what I was underneath the curse.

"No, I've not mentioned you and I'm not going to either. I know she's your friend but it's too dangerous for you for people to know," Elijah sighed, "I'm sorry, I'll be back soon. I have a few more things to finish up here but I will be back tonight. It's beginning though Rebecca, it's a full moon tomorrow night and I think that will be when Niklaus makes his move to break the curse."

"The pieces are fitting together," I sighed, "Who knows, in two days time I could be a hybrid."

"It will all be okay," Elijah whispered.

"I hope so, Elijah, I really do," I murmured, talking more to myself than him.

"Elena's back, I'll see you soon," He said before adding, "I love you."

"I love you too," I smiled to myself and waited until I heard the beep of the phone disconnecting before I moved it from my ear.

Tomorrow Elena would be sacrificed, and I would become a hybrid. Angrily I threw the pad of paper across the room and went to storm out of the house before remembering I couldn't and screaming in anger. I hate this. I hate this. I hate this. I hate Niklaus and I hate his stupid curse, and I hate Elijah's parents for turning them into vampires. I hate being so alone in this, and useless. I hate not being able to talk to my brothers about it, not being able to trust them enough with this information. I hate all of this crap.