Part Eight

I don't know how long I was asleep, I felt as though I'd lived the year again as I received all of my memories back. I blinked a few times, letting my eyes adjust to the light. I groaned, my head feeling overloaded with information - which it had been. "Rebecca?" I heard Elijah whisper and moved my head slightly to the side to see he had pulled a chair beside the bed I was lying in. He was holding my hand and looked as though he'd been there for some time. He looked scared.

"Hi," I smiled sleepily.

"How are you feeling? I was so worried, you've been asleep for two days," Elijah moved so that he was sat on the edge of the bed, still holding my hand.

Two days? "Well, I did have to get a years worth of memories back," I groaned and sat up, my head was pounding. I could feel the familiar itch in the back of my throat signalling that I needed to feed.

I looked at Elijah, who looked nervously back at me. His eyes scanned my face, looking for answers. He wanted to know if it worked, if I got my memories back and I remembered my love for him. An idea came into my head as I watched him. "I'm going for a shower, I feel gross after sleeping for two days," I cringed at the thought and stood up.

My head swam and I felt myself falling, before Elijah appeared in front of me and grabbed hold of me so I didn't. He held on to my hips for a moment, staring into my eyes, "You need to drink." He disappeared and reappeared in a second, handing me a blood bag.

I took it, smiling gratefully at him, and ripped it open, devouring it in seconds. I really needed that. The itch in the back of my throat subsided and my head stopped pounding. "Rebecca," Elijah said softly, the question obvious in his eyes.

"Elijah," I replied, in the same tone, biting back a smile.

"Talk to me, it's killing me not knowing," Elijah almost begged me. I tried to stay strong and keep up the facade of not caring, but as soon as I looked in his eyes it came crumbling down. I couldn't keep it up any longer, not when his eyes were pleading me.

I smiled, revealing everything to him. He sighed in relief and pulled me into a hug, almost crushing all of my bones with his strength. I laughed and hugged him back. "I love you, Elijah," I whispered, feeling as though my heart were flying. All thoughts and feelings for Jeremy were forgotten, it felt like we'd been together years ago and Elijah and I had never ended. Almost like it had been Elijah I was in a relationship with for the past year, and Jeremy over a century ago, not the other way round.

"You don't know how long I've waited to hear you say that again," He grinned at me, pulling out of the hug to kiss me. "I love you too Rebecca."

"I'm seriously going to go for a shower though, because I do feel gross," I laughed and walked into the bathroom, turning the shower on so it could heat up.

I looked at myself in the mirror and stared at myself in horror. I was wearing the same clothes I wore when I murdered the vampire who was trying to attack me. All the memories came flooding back with one unwavering thought screaming into every inch of my being. Murderer. Murderer. Murderer.

I covered my mouth in horror and squeezed my eyes shut as the panic and fear overwhelmed me. What had I done? I felt my knees go weak as I replayed the scene in my head of me stabbing the vampire in the heart. I fell to the floor as my eyes welled up and the tears began to fall, my breathing heavy.

"Rebecca?" Elijah was by my side in a second, "What's wrong?"

"I killed someone, I killed someone," I muttered over and over, until my breathing was too panicked that I couldn't physically speak.

"Hey, Rebecca, look at me," Elijah said, gently putting his hands on either side of my head and making me look at him. "It's okay, he was going to hurt you if you didn't. You did what you had to do."