Part Twenty-Six

"Come with me," Elijah smiled, taking my hand. I looked at him curiously as I saw how nervous he was.

"Where are we going?" I asked him as we walked down to one of the underwater streets in Venice.

"I have a surprise for you," He grinned, before covering my eyes with his hands. I gasped at the sudden change in not being able to see.

"Elijah," I laughed as I stumbled forward in towards wherever he was taking me, "If you push me into the water, I will not be pleased."

"Do you trust me?" He whispered in my ear, his breath tickling my skin.

"With my life," I whispered back without hesitation.

We stopped walking and Elijah moved his hands. A smile broke out on my face as I saw the long row boat in front of us that was lit up with lanterns. A man was waiting on the boat for us. "It's beautiful," I grinned and kissed Elijah.

He smiled back at me before stepping into the boat and helping me in. We sat down and the man began to sail up the street slowly. I smiled in awe at the beautiful city around us that was lit up by lanterns in the darkness of the night. The stars looked magnificent as they twinkled in the clear sky. It was the perfect scene, and I could honestly say I never wanted the night to end.

About half an hour into the boat journey we entered a more secluded area that looked even more beautiful than before. I felt Elijah take my hand in front of me, pulling my attention back to him. I cocked my head to the side slightly in confusion as I saw him bent down on one knee in front of me.

"Elijah, what are you doing?" I asked nervously, trying not to let my mind get ahead of me.

"You know how much I love you, right?" He smiled nervously at me. Why was he so nervous? What was he doing?

"Yes, as I love you," I nodded shyly. Was he really going to do what I thought he was going to do?

He took a shaky breath and began to speak again, "I couldn't imagine my life without you, and I don't want to. You are the most beautiful, strong, funny, loyal and amazing woman I have ever met... You make me want to be more than just a vampire, you make me strong and brave... You make me complete and I don't ever want to lose you."

He paused, almost as if he was questioning as to whether I would leave him, so I shook my head and said, "You won't ever lose me, Elijah."

"I am so happy with you as my girlfriend, but I want you to be more than that. I want you to be mine for eternity, but I want you to be my wife for all of eternity... So Rebecca Salvatore... Will you do me the great honour of being my wife?" Elijah's eyes never left mine, the nervous look growing as I sat there in shock. "Rebecca, please say something."

"You... You're proposing to me?" I whispered as tears sprang to my eyes. He was proposing to me. My boyfriend wanted to be my husband. After over a century and a half as a vampire I never thought I would have the dream wedding I had dreamed of as a child, I never thought I would get to marry the man I loved. Yet here he is, proposing to me.

"Yes, I am," He chuckled softly, before adding, "So what is your answer?"

I slowly nodded my head as a tear slipped down my cheek, "Yes, of course it's a yes," I cried, throwing my arms around his neck and kissing him.

He laughed happily before pulling away and taking my hand. I watched tearfully as he slipped the most beautiful ring I had ever seen on to my finger. "Elijah," I breathed, looking down at the ring. "Have I ever told you that I love you?"

"Maybe once or twice," He grinned and kissed me again, "Fiancée."

"That sounds amazing," I whispered against his lips.