Part Five

I sat on the steps outside the cabin, staring out into the lake. I felt like an alien in my own body. I didn't know who I was anymore. I didn't know who I could trust, considering the people I thought I could have been keeping secrets from me.

"How are you, Rebecca?" Elijah asked as he sat beside me.

"Confused," I sighed. "Who am I, Elijah?"

"Currently, you are Becs Salvatore. Previously you were Rebecca Pennyworth, but underneath the mask you are someone completely different," Elijah said softly.

"But what does that mean? I have all these distorted memories of you but so much is missing. You told me that one day I would know the truth, today is that day. Please, Elijah, I need to know," I looked at him, pleading him with my eyes.

He sighed and took my hand, "Walk with me?" I nodded and let him help me up, leaving my hand in his. He directed us towards the lake, where there was a small wooden dock. We walked to the end and sat down. "I'm going to start at the beginning, which involves a bit of my family history, it will all become clear to you, I promise."

I nodded, but stayed silent as he began his story. "My older brother, Niklaus, is not my biological brother, but in fact my half brother. We do not share the same father, his father was a werewolf. If my parents did not turn Niklaus into a vampire, he would have become a werewolf had he triggered the curse, which as you know requires the act of murder. However, our parents did turn us all into vampires, and in fear of what he might become witches found a way lock away his werewolf side. Without that curse he would be the strongest and most powerful creature on this Earth. As another precaution, providing Niklaus found a way to break the curse locking away his werewolf side, the witches created another potential hybrid, who would be the only person who could fight Niklaus.

"Niklaus's biological father, Ansel, had a brother, called Asmund, he's where you come into it. He is your great grandfather of almost a thousand years," Elijah paused to let me take in this information.

"So in a really distant and strange way Niklaus is what? My cousin?" I frowned, trying to work it out.

"If the two of you were born in the same time era then yes, he would be your cousin. So distantly you are related," Elijah nodded. "Anyway, Asmund was also a werewolf, and this continued to run through your family for years until it reached your father."

"My father was a werewolf?" I was truly shocked. How had I not known this? How had I not seen it?

"Yes, however when you were born your grandfather heard of the... I guess you could call it a prophecy of sorts. Anyway, in the prophecy it's said that Niklaus will break the curse and become a vampire-werewolf hybrid being, and that following that so will the unknown other person, who will be able to control and put a stop to the chaos Niklaus would cause."

"But what has this got to do with me?" I asked.

"I told you of your heritage, that you great grandfather of one thousand years was Niklaus's Uncle... The hybrid had to come from your family, by turning you into a vampire Katherine ensured that you lineage stopped at you, and that you would be the hybrid of the stories." I just stared at him in shock. I didn't understand, how could it be me? "You are supposed to be the hybrid that balances out Niklaus's evil," Elijah said softly.

"No, no, no, you've got that wrong. That's not me, I'm not a werewolf," I shook my head in disbelief.

"Not yet you're not, it was locked away when you became a vampire. But if Niklaus breaks the curse, like he wants to, you will have to kill someone and you will have to become a hybrid. You'd be the only one strong enough to stop him," Elijah rest his hand on my leg, as a comforting gesture.