Part Seventeen

Klaus invited me shopping with him and Rebekah today, said that she needed to update her wardrobe since she's been in a coffin for years now and the fashion had definitely changed. Klaus and I were sat outside the changing rooms, having given Rebekah a bundle of clothes to try on.

"How are you feeling about...?" Klaus asked me, trailing off as if deciding whether or not to say it.

"Killing seven innocent people? Or seeing the man I love dead in a box?" I asked crankily. He pursed his lips and I sighed, "Sorry, it was a hard day."

"I know, and I didn't show you Elijah to make it harder, I wanted you to know that he was safe," Klaus said softly.

"He'd be safer if you took the dagger out of him," I rolled my eyes.

"When I'm ready, I will," Klaus said sounding irritated, before adding, "You had the chance, why didn't you do it?"

"Because I knew that if I did it you'd just put him back in the box the next chance you had. You need to be the one to take it out, otherwise he'll only end up back in there within a matter of hours," I said quietly, looking down at my hands and avoiding looking at Klaus who I knew was watching me intently as I spoke. "I miss him every day, but it makes it easier being around you. You don't realise how similar you two are underneath your wall."

"You're not falling in love with me too are you?" He joked, seeming to be uncomfortable with what I had just said.

"Don't worry, your safe on that account, I feel like you could end up being more like brother to me if you play your cards right," I laughed.

"A brother," He murmured smiling at me. I lifted my hand over to his and squeezed his hand gently, to show him I was here.

"There has to be more to this dress," Rebekah grumbled, interrupting our conversation.

I rolled my eyes at Klaus as he replied, "There's not." Man was Rebekah behind on fashion.

She stormed out of the changing room cubicle she was in, wearing a small black dress. "So women in the twenty-first century dress like prostitutes then?" She looked me over and shook her head, "I guess I should have realised that from her clothes."

I frowned as I looked down at myself, I liked what I was wearing. It was a short black skirt and white crop top with heeled ankle boots. I thought I looked cute. "Now now Rebekah," Klaus said testily, "Becs is here to help, since her fashion sense is up to date - unlike yours."

I smirked at her as she glared back. I think Klaus was starting to like me, or at least tolerate me. "You know I got dirty looks for wearing trousers," Rebekah said angrily.

"You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing," Klaus said lazily.

"And what is this music?" She snapped, looking up at the shop ceiling.

"It's dance music," I rolled my eyes at her lack of knowledge.

"People dance to this?" She raised her eyebrow at me.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Are we done?" Klaus asked, looking very bored.

"And why are you so grumpy?" Rebekah asked, walking over to him.

"I needed one thing from you, for my witch to do the spell, one thing and you lost it. Your necklace," Klaus sounded irritated.

"I didn't lose it," Rebekah argued, "It's just been missing for ninety years. So what do you think?" She twirled in her dress.

"No," I shook my head, "I don't like it."

She threw me an annoyed look before walking back into the cubicle. "Nice one, good work," Klaus sighed, grabbing his drink from the side.