Part Twenty

"Please tell me you didn't kill them," I sighed as Klaus walked into my apartment.

I'd been searching for Stefan for the past week, looking in all of the nearby areas that he might go to to hide a bunch of coffins, but so far I'd come up empty. I'd just got back into town, where I had let Klaus stay in my apartment whilst he searched for Rebekah. She'd been missing since before Mikael showed up, and after she had told Klaus that Mikael was dead - when he clearly wasn't. Something must have happened to her.

I was lounging on the sofa, drinking a blood bag, when Klaus threw open the door angrily. He'd been to see Damon and Elena, apparently he was 'encouraging' them to help our search for Rebekah and Stefan. He'd also been busy creating new hybrids whilst I was away and had one of them - a guy called Tony - following Elena now. An intimidation tactic.

"No, I haven't killed them," Klaus rolled his eyes as he grabbed the blood bag from my hands and downed it, before adding, "Yet."

"You and I both know you won't kill your little blood bank, but I am asking you not to kill Damon," I sighed. Despite everything, Damon had been there for me when everyone hated me for turning into a hybrid.

"I thought you'd given up on them all," Klaus mused.

"By all means break your blood banks spine, and fill Damon's body with wooden bullets," I shrugged, "Just don't kill him, is all I'm asking."

"You sound more and more like me every day," Klaus smirked.

"I do not," I rolled my eyes at him. "If I was, I'd be telling you to go and kill all their family and friends until they give us the coffins."

"Touché," Klaus nodded to me, "So do you want to hear my stroke of genius idea?"

"Do tell, because I am so interested in your ways of sending evil messages, oh great one," I smiled sarcastically at him.

"Less of the attitude you," Klaus rolled his eyes, "Anyway, I compelled the little Gilbert boy to stand in the middle of the road without his ring on, and then I told Tony to run him down."

"You did what?" I stood up angrily. Jeremy was an arse to me, but he didn't deserve to die, there would always be a part of me which loved him (even if it was buried deep inside).

"Relax, Alaric pushed him out the way and Tony hit him instead," Klaus shrugged, "Oh and I've found us a new place to live, once it's been renovated. Want to come see?"

"Sure," I frowned, confused at his quick topic change, almost like he had been talking about the weather before and not murder.

We got into Klaus's car and he drove us to near the outskirts of Mystic Falls. A huge house stood in front of us, even bigger than the Salvatore Boarding House. When we walked inside I saw what he meant about renovations, the inside was completely bare, apart from the plastic sheets covering the walls and floor and various bits of scaffolding dotted around. There was also loads of humans working furiously hard to get it finished - they had obviously been compelled.

"Ah Tyler, right on time," Klaus smiled as he looked over my shoulder.

I turned around and smiled back at Tyler, ever since he had become a hybrid he seemed so much happier. "Tyler, how are you?" I grinned and hugged him.

"I'm good thanks, how are you?" Tyler replied.

"Well my plan went well," Klaus answered for me, "I mean Tony ran over Alaric instead of Jeremy, but the message still stands."

"What?" Tyler frowned.

"Elena's family suffers, she's more motivated to get me what I want," Klaus shrugged and I rolled my eyes at his nonchalant attitude towards murdering someone and potentially ruining people's lives.