Part Twenty-Seven

Tyler Lockwood stood over the body lying peacefully in the coffin, she could have looked like she was sleeping if it had not been for the grey desiccating exterior. He sighed and gently stroked her cheek, he never meant for her to get caught up in this. She was definitely what you called 'collateral damage'. He had a plan though, he would get her back, she just had to wait a little longer. He felt odd in Tyler Lockwood's body, like he was wearing a jumper that was two sizes to small. Claustrophobic. For now though, she would have to remain in the coffin and he would have to remain in Tyler's body.

Beside her coffin was his own, Niklaus hadn't realised that his body might survive the white oak stake, but somehow it had. He wanted Bonnie to put him back into his body. He was waiting for her to turn up so that they could discuss this topic of conversation.

Elijah sat on the bed in the hotel room he had hidden himself away in, a photo of him and Rebecca on the boat in Venice. She had insisted on taking a photo after he had proposed to her. To mark the moment, she had said. In the photo she was smiling widely as she held her hand up to flash her new engagement ring to the camera as Elijah hugged her from behind, his chin resting on her shoulder with an equally big smile on his face. He could honestly say that that had been the happiest day of his entire life, in over one thousand years he had never been so happy as he had been in that moment. That was until it was all ripped away from him. Now all that was left was the painful ache in his chest that wouldn't leave him, the tears stinging his eyes when everything reminded him of the girl he loved, and the emptiness he felt in his heart that he knew would never be filled again. All he wanted was to hear was her laugh, to see her smile and feel her warmth. He would never get that again.

She had promised him she would be careful before leaving that night, but that didn't matter because her fate was bound by his brothers. With one came the other, and without one there would be no other. Now he had lost them both. He would never hear his brother make some snide remark about him, or see him roll his eyes... He would never hear him say the words to the oath they vowed to each other all those years ago: Always and Forever. It meant nothing now, because there was no forever. It had been ripped away from them as Alaric drove a stake through Niklaus's heart. The human phrase 'killing two birds with one stone' suddenly took a whole new meaning in Elijah's life.

Rebekah had tried to support Elijah in his grief, but even looking at his sister brought more pain to him. She had the same name as his now deceased fiancée, and Elijah had heard all about Becs's wishes for his sister to help plan the wedding. Seeing her, in some ways, made the pain worse.

Bonnie walked into the Lockwood cellar and saw Klaus's coffin beside Becs's. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Klaus smirked, walking towards the witch in Tyler's body.

"What is it doing here?" Bonnie asked, sounding extremely annoyed.

"Well, I expected it to be ash, now I see it's not, I want it back. Put me back into my body," Niklaus demanded angrily.

"No, I need to help Elena. She's in transition and I need to find a way to help her," Bonnie shook her head, thinking of her best friend who was in transition to be a vampire. Bonnie wanted to find a way to see if she could stop her from being a vampire, to see if she could keep her human. That would require all of her energy and magic.

In a split second, Tyler's hand was wrapped tightly around Bonnie's neck as Klaus threatened her, "Remember I can still rip your tongue out, little witch."

"If I can save Elena you can have all the hybrids you want, she'll be human again. Isn't that what you really want?" Bonnie gasped out, desperately.

"Fine," Tyler's hand released Bonnie, "But the deal still stands: no one knows."

Bonnie nodded and Tyler stood back. "I need to seal Becs's coffin, if she wakes up and escapes, everyone will know you're alive."