First Day of School

Start from the beginning

Harry gives a slight nod.

"That's my good boy." I kiss his forehead. "You're gonna make lots of friends and have lots of fun. Daddy and I will come back in a few hours." I spot a clock on the wall. "You see that clock?" Harry nods. "Well when the two hands point straight up, Daddy and I are gonna come get you."

Harry pulls a confused face. "Those sticks, not hands, Papa."

"Well when the sticks point straight up, Papa and Daddy will come get you. Okay? No more tears. You're okay. Papa has to go now. Be a big boy for Papa and Daddy. We'll be back soon."

Harry hugs me and clings to my neck.

"Love you, Papa," he mumbles.

"I love you, too, Harry." I kiss his face and wipe away the last of his tears.  

"Parents, I think it's about time to start wrapping up your goodbyes," the teacher announces.

"Bye, Harry. Daddy and I will see you soon.  Be a good boy." 

"Bye, Papa." Harry sniffles and goes back to playing with the blocks. 

I feel the sudden urge to cry, so I decide to leave the room before that happens. 

When I get back to the car, I see Liam wearing sunglasses, but it's obvious he's still crying.

"Is my baby okay?" Liam asks desperately when I enter the car. 

"He's... he will be," I answer.

"You didn't leave him crying, did you?!"

"No. A little sniffly, but not crying."

Liam sighs, wiping his eyes from under the sunglasses. "Are... are you okay?" he asks.

Am I? My baby just begged us not to leave him and we left him. We left him with strangers that he doesn't know. A bunch of kids who, though they seemed nice, could be really mean to him. 

"I... I don't know," I say a little shakily. I can already feel my lip quivering and my eyes burning. 

"Lou..."

And here come the tears... I feel like such a baby, crying in the parking lot of a pre-school, with my husband here crying with me. I really hope other parents aren't paying attention to us. 

Liam holds my hand while I cry. What is there to say? We know why we're crying. Our baby is growing up and we can't be with him the whole time. 

I look at him and he smiles. "We're... we're pretty pathetic, aren't we?" he asks with a giggle, taking off his sunglasses.

"The worst," I joke. "Practically flooded the car." We both laugh.

Liam kisses my hand. "You still going to work today?" Liam asks.

"I should... but I really just wanna go home," I pout. "Cuddle on the sofa and sulk."

"Sounds like an excellent plan."

****************************************************

11:45 couldn't come soon enough. The house is so quiet without Harry. Liam and I cuddled on the sofa under a heap of blankets watching sad movies and pretending we were only crying because of the movie. I miss my baby and so does Liam. 

We arrive at the school at 11:51, which is 9 minutes early. We agonizingly wait another 5 minutes before going inside and waiting outside the door with the other parents. 

Some of these parents have been through this before. Others are like us and are just waiting to see their babies. One mum is already bragging about her daughter. Another is busy on the phone. Some are chatting. I just want to see Harry. 

Eventually the teacher opens the door, making the children stand back so they don't all run out the door. Several shouts of 'Mummy!' and 'Daddy!' come from inside. 

The teacher lets the children out one at a time to their respective parents. 

"Daddies!!" Harry shouts when it's finally his turn.

Liam immediately picks him up and holds him close. "Hello, my angel. Did you have a good day?"

"Yeah! Got to play with blocks and play cars with Darcy!"

"Who's Darcy, babe?" I ask.

"My best friend!" God he's adorable.

"Oh, that's great sweetheart. Is Darcy nice?" Liam asks.

"She very nice, Daddy. She likes to play blocks with me."

"That's wonderful," I say taking Harry from Liam. I kiss his forehead. I missed him so much. "Did you know I missed you today?" I ask.

"I miss you, Papa. Miss Daddy, too."

"I missed you, too," Liam says.

"We go home?" Harry asks. "Want cuddles... and Bubble."

"Cuddles sounds like a great idea," Liam says. "You were such a brave big boy today. You deserve some cuddles."

"So brave," I praise. "Papa is very proud of you. Do you think you can be a brave big boy tomorrow, too? You can come back and play with Darcy."

"Okay, Papa. But I get cuddles still," Harry negotiates. 

"Deal," I agree and put Harry in his carseat, ready to go home for some cuddles and probably a movie.