Chapter 25

Storybrooke

Two top hats sat on the table, one looked fit to where while the other looked like a failed art project. Gracie had attempted to follow Emma's steps but still failed to comply with Jefferson's requests. Jefferson had told the two girls to make the hats "work". Neither Emma or Gracie knew what he meant but were certain Emma's hat wasn't working.

"We're never getting out of here," Gracie whispered to Emma.

"We tried that's all that matters," Emma put her hand over Gracie's.

Gracie sighed and picked up the hat. She observed it carefully looking for anyway she could get it started.

"Gracie it's just a hat," Emma said, grabbing for the hat.

Just as Emma's hand touched the hat a flicker of light escaped it and it started trembling. Both girls dropped the hat quickly, and the hat laid still on the table.

"What the hell was that?" Emma asked.

"I don't know," Gracie said, "I wanna get out of here."

Emma looked at the child with a look of sympathy, "We can't leave until we find Mary Margaret. I know where she is. Down the hall two doors to the left."

"How do we get her out?" Gracie asked, a little frightened by what the answer might be.

"I need you to be brave, okay Gracie?" Emma asked, laying a hand on Gracie's shoulder.

Gracie felt a rush of adrenaline flooding through her veins, "You got it."

"Alright, I'll distract Jefferson while you get Mary Margaret and get out of the house. If I'm not out in 20 minutes go find help okay?"

Gracie nodded, taking in the instructions she was given. Emma stiffened beside Gracie. She looked up to come face to face with Jefferson.

"Make it work."

Gracie pushed back the overwhelming thoughts. She wanted to show Emma she wasn't a scared little girl. For some reason she wanted Emma to know she could rely on Gracie.

"May I use the bathroom?" Gracie asked in an innocent voice with a half smile.

"You can't hold it?"

Gracie shook her head. Jefferson sighed and hung his head for a second.

"Go straight down the hallway and it's the last door on the right. I'll know if you go anywhere else."

Gracie gave a quick nod and hurried out the door. She shot a quick glance back at Emma. A smile spread across Gracie's face when she saw Emma giving a thumbs up sign under the table.

Gracie quietly walked down the hallway to the room Emma had told her to go to. She slowly opened the door, the hinges squeaking loudly, and peered in. Gracie's eyes widened as Mary Margaret came into view. She was strapped to a chair with a gag wrapped in her mouth. Gracie hurried over to her teacher and removed the gag.

"Oh, Gracie, I'm so sorry I got you into this," Mary Margaret looks at Gracie, waiting for her trademark, charming smile.