30

GOALS:
60 VOTES
25 COMMENTS

"So who were you running from?" Harry asked me before he opened his mouth, placing his burger on his tongue that stuck out past his teeth. If his question didn't bring me back to reality, I probably would have giggled at the sight.

I took a bite of my burger to prolong my answer. Sitting in his car parked in a McDonalds parking lot at 1 a.m. was the only place that I wanted to be, because I was with him. That fact scared the living hell out of me. It was a wrong feeling. A feeling that I shouldn't have felt.

"It's stupid really," I shook my head and sat cross legged in his passenger seat.

"You wouldn't have acted like that if it didn't bother you," he took another bite of his burger.

I bit the inside of my cheek, more than embarrassed to confess my feelings to him when we were in such an awkward place. He knew how crazy I was for him, but he didn't care enough about me to make me his girlfriend, partially because of his future and partially because of his loyalty to his family. However, I couldn't blame him. I had no idea what I would do in that situation either.

"I told Kenny a couple weeks ago that I just wanted to be friends and I thought he understood," I sighed and sat my burger on my knee. My hands went over my face and I pushed my dark hair behind my ears.

"Did he force himself..."

I wouldn't even let him finish that sentence. "No," I said way too harshly. In a lot lighter tone, I restarted, "No. He just kissed me. And I really wanted to like it. I really did. But everything about it felt wrong. It felt out of place and it made me think about you."

My heart sprung out of my chest as I spoke and I could hear the waving of my voice but considered it more naked and exposed than embarrassing. He was staring at me when I turned my head to look at him.

"But Martie told me everything about Sarah and why you're marrying her. And I understand why you're choosing Sarah. I really do. It just kills me that you're not happy," I swallowed the lump in my throat as I let him hear everything I had wanted to say to him since his stepsister had told me.

"Karlie," Harry reached over to hold my hand but I removed mine from his reach.

"I just want you to know that it's ok. I totally get everything now and I know I'm still confused but if you have to do this, you do it for your family," I nodded my head and grabbed my burger back into my hand.

A sickly feeling swept over me and I felt nauseous at the thought of him watching Sarah walk down the aisle at their wedding. He didn't want to marry her, but he had to to support his family. That was more appealing than I previously realized and it hurt me.

"I don't need your blessing," he commented as he turned to stare forward into the street in front of the parking lot. "I need you to tell me not to do it."

My breath was caught in my throat and my head whipped around to stare at him perplexed at his command. "No," I frowned. "I'm not telling you what to do. You're a grown man and you can make grown ass decisions."

"That's the problem," he chuckled, his dimples popping into his cheeks and his eyes slanting. "I was going to marry Sarah, but then I met you."

The blood that was already pumping through my heart wildly decided to stop completely and then I felt my stomach dance to the rhythm as it started pumping nervously again.

He put his burger back into his mouth and started the car again. I hadn't come up with anything to say back to him so I sat there in his passenger seat as Coldplay played softly in the background. My brain was going in every direction with every possibility and I couldn't take the jealousy anymore.