4

Initiation into my sorority wasn't quite what I expected. The secrets were told to all who were being initiated, I recited the creed, read passages from the bible, and surprisingly didn't have to cut my palm. You know, like that creepy blood sister shit movies scare kids with about greek life. No, none of that happened. The entire night was dedicated to my pledge class becoming sisters. After the ceremony, my group of friends went out to hang at Penelope's boyfriend's house, who was also in PIKE, the same fraternity my brother was in. 

When we walked in, we were welcomed with a beer in our hands. I was driving back Penelope's car, so I personally didn't accept the invitation, while the other girls gladly threw back the content into their throats as soon as they were handed the beer. I guess the ceremony was more boring than I thought. 

Natalie found Kenny in the kitchen and I didn't follow her. I wasn't too happy with the way he was avoiding me all of this past semester. Meanwhile, Martie and I gossiped on the couch about some of the girls that were living in the house. She was only a year older than me and we were going to take a sociology class together for our spring term. We were only a few weeks away now from the fall semester's end, which meant final exams were creeping up. My first two were next week and then I had three the following week. Just thinking about them stressed me out. The library was going to be my home away from home for the next three weeks as I cram in as much information as I can.

Someone knocked on the door while we talked and I turned to see the gentlemen walking in. Abe, Apollo, and Thomas walked in with a massive keg on a rolling cart. The boys were all pumped about the alcohol and Martie rolled her eyes at them as they made jokes about getting wasted.

"So stupid. Alcohol is so stupid," she spoke frustrated about the whole concept of the keg. 

"I think it can be fun sometimes," I disagreed. "I mean, obviously if you're not mistreating it."

"I don't think so. It's not really my favorite activity, if you haven't noticed," she scoffed while flipping her dark hair over her shoulder. 

"How you are in a sorority, sometimes confuses me," I laughed and fell into her side while she stuck her tongue out at me.

"Martie? You're out drinking?" Apollo came over with his massive ego and obvious intention to humiliate Martie with the proud smirk on his face. He sat on the coffee table in front of us and looked between me and Martie, Apollo and I's first interaction in months. 

"I'm not drinking," she rolled her eyes and sat back in the couch frowning across to the man making fun of her.

"Oh...Go figure, I guess. Once a prude always a prude," he spoke dryly, stood up and walked back into the kitchen with his shoulders back and hands in his pockets.

My voice lowered and I shot daggers at Martie, "Does he always do that to you?"

"Ugh, yeah. It's just a thing between the two of us," she leaned away from me, clearly trying to run from our conversation.

"Martie, that's not ok! He can't talk to you like that," my tone was shrill, but I knew what it was like to be talked down to, and I didn't want Martie to have to feel like her not drinking was something to be ashamed about, because it certainly wasn't.

"Why not? Kingston talks to you like that," she rolled her eyes and threw her head back on the cushion closing her eyes hoping this conversation was ending.

"That's because Kingston's my brother. We haven't gotten along since we were both in elementary school," I chuckled turning my body to face her.

"Harry and I have never gotten along either. Our parents got married when I was six and he was eight. It was the worst experience of my life."