Seventy Two

It was only the following day that Joe and Demi promised that they would bring Kaia to the hospital so Jesse could at least see his daughter whether she understood what was going on or not. He had expressed how he wanted to at least know she was going to have a nice life without him here, he had no doubt in Joe and Demi but he wanted to see it for his own eyes.

"Where us going?" Kaia questioned Joe as he helped her get dressed.

"Remember Bethany yesterday?" Kaia nodded her head gently. "We're going to see her again and her partner at the hospital."

"Why hospital?" Kaia questioned letting her dad zip the back of her dress up then sitting her up on the bed grabbing a pair of white socks from her draws.

"Because Jesse isn't very well and needs the doctors to make sure he's not hurting." Joe explained putting her socks on before kissing her head. Joe lifted her up in his arms kissing her cheek gently before making his way downstairs.

"Don't you look beautiful in your new little dress?" Demi cooed kissing her nose gently making Kaia giggle reaching out for her, Demi took her holding her against her hip. "Mommy thinks daddy needs to go get ready."

"I'm going!" Joe replied pecking her lips gently before making his way back upstairs.

Joe and Demi met Bethany outside the hospital, they knew Kaia was confused on why the mood had dropped throughout the past couple of days but they would try and get things back to normal soon once she had seen Jesse. She probably wouldn't remember him in the future. Demi held Kaia as she buried her head in her shoulder, she didn't like hospitals.

"How is he doing?" Joe questioned laying his hand on her back for comfort.

"Not well," Bethany answered. "They're sending him home later because he's getting so weak, he's lasted longer than they ever predicted but they predict within twenty hours." They couldn't imagine what she was going through, they still had one another but they knew anything could happen for them to be in the same situation as she was but they hoped it would never come to that, that they would grow old with one another. They made it to the room Jesse had been to for a while now stopping outside having to prepare themselves.

"I want to go home." Kaia whined.

"I know princess, we won't be long then we'll go get ice cream alright?" Demi reasoned Kaia hesitating but nodding her head.

"You can see her whenever you want you know, have a bond with her." Joe begun Bethany nodding her head.

"When I get back on my feet." Bethany answered entering the room Joe and Demi not far behind her seeing how weak Jesse was instantly. He couldn't even lift his head up but he managed to crack a small smile when he saw them.

"Hey." He greeted, they didn't hesitate to greet him back grabbing chairs. Demi sat Kaia down on her lap passing her Joe's phone so she could play some games. They spoke to Jesse and Bethany as if they were their friends and not here so they could both see Kaia, Jesse's eyes were on Kaia knowing that his thoughts were right, that Joe and Demi were good parents.

"They are having their own babies now, twins." Bethany explained taking hold of his hand.

"Congratulations." Jesse choked slightly Joe feeling Demi hold tighter onto his, it was hard for them to see someone they knew like this.

"Thank you." Demi breathed. They stayed with him until visiting hours were over and they had to. As promised they took Kaia for ice cream Bethany coming along, she wanted a relationship with her daughter.

Jesse died later on that day at home surrounded by family.