Seventy One

Demi entered the hallway laughing as she was attacked by her daughter but came concerned when she was crying. She rubbed her back gently shushing her, she always preferred Demi to cry on.

"What happened?" Demi questioned her husband who was taking the leash off Woody now that Kaia was being seen to by his wife.

"Woody knocked her over, she's okay, just got a graze. No breaks or anything." Joe assured her Demi kissing Kaia's head gently.

"Baby girl Woody didn't mean to knock you over, you still love him right?" Demi questioned Kaia shrugging her shoulders. "Look at him." Kaia hesitated but pulled away from her shoulder looking down at the dog who was looking up at her.

"He's not scary is he?" Joe questioned Kaia giggling when Woody licked her foot.

"Tickles!" She exclaimed lifting her leg up more so it was wrapped around Demi's waist.

"Woody says he's sorry do you forgive him?" Kaia nodded her head letting her mom set her on the ground petting Woody's head gently. "Good girl, let's go get you cleaned up, go into the kitchen." Kaia ran into the kitchen leaving Joe and Demi alone as Woody followed their daughter.

"Is Bethany alright?" Joe inquired Demi nodding her head.

"She will be, Jesse has cancer and doesn't have long left," she explained sighing taking hold of his hand. She couldn't help but think what it would be like to lose the man she's been with for nearly ten years. "He wants to see Kaia before he goes."

"That's fine," Joe breathed pecking her lips gently. "I'll go clean Kaia's graze then bring her through." Demi nodded her head as they separated again. Joe lifted Kaia up sitting her on the counter making her giggle feeling how high up she was.

"Me nearly tall as you." She grinned giggling again when Joe leaned down kissing her nose grabbing the first aid box getting a wipe.

"This might hurt just a little but you're a brave girl right?" Joe warned Kaia nodding her head feeling her dad begin to wipe her leg. "In a minute you're going to meet one of mommy and daddy's friends so you need to be a good girl." Kaia nodded her head allowing Joe to lift her up laying her head on his shoulder. He could tell she was tired, it was getting close to nap time but he would lay her down after she had met Beth.

Joe packed away before entering the living room Kaia still against him, she often got shy when she was tired but otherwise she was a confident little girl. Bethany looked up from the floor cracking a smile when she saw Joe up on his feet which he returned. Her eyes moved to the girl against his side who was playing with the top of his shirt. Joe sat down in the chair moving Kaia so she was sat on his lap facing the two girls but he locked his arms around her Kaia leaning back against her.

"Say hi to Bethany." Joe encouraged Kaia waving her hand.

"Mommy is having two babies!" She exclaimed making them all laugh even Bethany who was still emotional seeing her daughter and how she had grown since she was a newborn in her arms. She always wondered what her daughter looked like now, whether she looked more like her or Jesse. She looked most like Jesse who some features of hers.

"At this time it's normally her nap time so she'll be a little tired." Demi explained Bethany nodding her head keeping her eyes on her daughter.

"Hi Kaia, my name is Bethany." Bethany greeted.

"Mommy and daddy's friend?" She questioned Bethany nodding her head.

"You can lay her down if you want." Bethany stated seeing that she was falling asleep against Joe.

"Come on then princess, nap time," Joe kissed her head standing up. "Say bye to mommy and Bethany." Kaia waved as they said goodbye to her before she fell asleep against Joe before she got into her bed.