Twenty Four

"What's that smile for?" Dianna inquired as Demi entered the kitchen grabbing herself a bottle of water from the refrigerator taking a sip hugging her father from behind as he was sat at the table reading the newspaper but stopped when he felt Demi hug him.

"No reason." Demi answered pulling away taking a seat next to him thanking her mom as she placed a plate in front of her, she was offered to stay at Joe's house but she wanted to spend some time with her parents too.

"I know that look, you've met a boy." Demi giggled slightly knowing how well her father knew her, he always had since he had entered her life.

"That's slightly lying cause I met him before, we've just started to grow feeling towards each other." Demi shrugged her shoulders but she won't deny she was happy about what was happening between her and Joe. She was hoping to boost his confidence a little bit, she knew he didn't have much with him being in the chair and now she learnt he couldn't reproduce she couldn't blame him. That didn't bother her much.

"Who is he?" Dianna inquired.

"It's Joe," They both looked at her. "You know Josh?"

"Jonas?" Eddie inquired this time Demi nodding her head gently.

"He's his twin brother, I never really saw him at school until now because we have different classes but we've gotten to know each other, he's so different to Josh even though they look the same." Demi explained a smile on her face.

"What does he do then, football, basketball like Josh?" Demi sighed shaking her head gently.

"He's in a wheelchair mom, he's been paralyzed from the waist down since he was eleven. He's a really smart boy though, just because he doesn't have his legs doesn't mean he can't be successful." Demi praised both her parents nodding their heads.

"We're happy for you Demi." Dianna kissed the side of her head making her smile as the three of them continued to eat their dinner.

Demi hopped off the school bus the next morning meeting Joe at the back as he came off in his wheelchair. She usually walked but she thought she'd sit with Joe now. Demi helped him get comfortable in his chair before they wonder around to the back of the school where the ramps were. Joe wasn't the only student in a wheelchair.

"How is your dad?" Joe inquired as Demi walked by his side.

"He's okay, at least he can get out of bed now but nothing's changed. He still has heart disease." Demi sighed slightly. Joe wanted to comfort her by holding her hand or something but he wouldn't be moving towards homeroom if he stopped pushing the wheels on his chair.

"I lost my dad too and it's tragic but you'll find yourself getting better through time. I always remember my mom telling me that the hurt will soon go away and the time I spent with him will become memories which they did. I still get upset and frustrated sometimes that I don't have him here when I need him but it's okay because I know what a great man he was." Joe tried to comfort through words rather than actions.

"Thanks Joe," Demi leaned down kissing his cheek making him smile too. "When does your mom start her treatment?"

"End of the week," Joe sighed this time. "She's going to be in hospital for a while so Kevin is coming down to look after us all, I dare say Josh will help too."

"It should be nice to see your older brother though?" Demi questioned Joe nodding his head.

"I just don't want him to fail college because of it." Joe answered as they made their way to Demi's homeroom.

"I'm sure he won't, I'll see you at lunch." She pecked his lips gently before entering her room Joe soon making his way over to his.