Fifty Three

It had been a couple of days since the accident and Joe lost his confidence and hadn't even tried to walk with his crutches. Demi could tell he was getting frustrated with everything just wanting to be able to walk without having to put any hard effort in like most people but he didn't have any choice. She wished she could trade places with everything that had happened to him. Joe set Kaia's plate back in front of her after cutting her sausage for her.

"Mmmm sausage." Kaia grinned making Joe laugh Kaia giggling too.

"Crazy girl." Demi accused, Kaia giggled again stabbing a bit of sausage with her fork beginning to eat with her parents. Joe and Demi finished before Kaia who always took a while to eat, she distracted herself a lot of the time. Joe stayed seated with Kaia while she finished her dinner.

"If you like sausage so much you'd eat it!" Joe exclaimed.

"Daddy want some?" She questioned Joe shaking his head.

"Daddy already had his dinner, this is Kaia's dinner and she needs it to grow big and strong like mommy." Joe encouraged.

"Not you?" She inquired Joe laughing.

"No because I'm a boy and you're a girl," He laughed again as she looked herself down, Joe shook his head gently at his daughter. "Come on eat up." He grabbed her fork feeding her the last little bits before Kaia took her plate in the kitchen where Demi had started to wash up.

"All gone!" She exclaimed passing it to Demi who put it in the sink.

"Good girl, go watch TV now." Demi demanded softly watching as Kaia ran off hearing Joe enter in his chair where he had been for the past couple of days since he had fallen down the stairs because he didn't trust himself not to fall again.

"What some help?" Joe questioned Demi shaking her head.

"Unless you're willing to stand up and help," Joe sighed slightly. "You might undo all the time you've spent doing those exercises if you don't get up soon Joe, I thought you wanted to walk?"

"I do but I-I'm scared." Joe admitted.

"You don't need to be, I'll help you down the stairs so you won't fall again. We'll soon get you up again." Demi explained.

"I want to try walking now." Joe muttered quickly.

"Joe it might be a little soon after the accident." Demi begun but Joe shrugged his shoulders as Demi sighed this time.

"I want to give it a go." Joe demanded Demi nodding her head drying her hands as they both made their way into the living room.

"Kaia stand near the hall door," Demi demanded softly Kaia doing as she was told watching as her mom moved the couch back a bit so Joe had a suitable space to try and start walking again. She then stood near Joe again. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Joe breathed allowing Demi to help him stand up. She believed in him but she didn't want for this to fail and for his confidence to fall even more if he couldn't walk across the room. Demi had hold of his crutches if he struggled watching as he stood up straight so he wasn't leaning against her anymore. He stood up still staying there until he could produce enough confidence, he had to compose himself to make sure that he did this right.

"Yay daddy!" Kaia praised jumping up and down making him smile and Demi as Woody was next to her barking too as if he was encouraging Joe too.

"I know you can do this Joe, walk to Kaia and give her a hug." Joe nodded his head gently putting one foot in front of the other. He was a little shaky.

But Joe took his first steps since he was eleven lifting Kaia up in his arms when he got there.