Forty One

"I'm sorry, that would have been my twin brother. I was complaining to him that this is taking so long and that I thought it was my chair. He probably came in." Joe explained sighing afterwards, he knew Josh was just trying to help them out but it wasn't the right way to do it. Josh cared about his younger brother a lot and Joe loved him, he couldn't be angry with him.

"Are we sure about this?" The man inquired the young girl who was looking at them both. They were worried all this was going to end before it had even started.

"I know my husband is in a wheelchair but that won't stop him from being a great father, he will love this baby just as much if we were having one of our own." Demi tried to convince Joe cracking a small smile at what his wife had said.

"Come on Jesse, we can give it a go," The girl stated. "Hi I'm Bethany." She greeted shaking their hands both of them introducing themselves. Bethany introduced them to Jesse and her mother, the woman from the adoption agency left them to it now they were introduced. A waitress came to take their order before they got properly settled.

"How long have you been in a wheelchair." Jesse questioned, Bethany could see that he was finding it hard to think about a man in a wheelchair looking after their son or daughter.

"Thirteen years." Joe answered.

"He's very independent to say he's stuck in a chair." Demi praised.

"Why have you decided to adopt a child." Claire, Bethany's mom questioned. They both expected loads of questions, they would do the same if they had swapped positions. They would want to know their child was going to a good place.

"Joe is disabled from the waist down so we're unable to have any of our own or at least until he has had an operation but it's expensive so it hasn't been done yet. We've been together since we were teenagers," Demi explained, Joe still wasn't a confident person so Demi often did certain tasks that she knew he wouldn't be comfortable doing. But Demi thought they were entitled to ask questions too. "What about you, why are you giving the baby up?" Demi asked.

"We're too young, still at school, we love our baby but we want what's best for the baby and that's not for us to raise him or her." Bethany answered.

They sat and had their meals and drinks as they got to know one another a little better. They thought it was going well and that's what Joe and Demi ever wanted. For someone to give them a chance so they could get to know them and see that just because Joe had a disability it wouldn't stop him from being a great father one day.

"It was nice meeting you," Bethany stated as she shook her hands again. "Jesse be nice and say goodbye." Jesse grumbled but shook their hands.

"Bye." He stated Claire rolling her eyes as she shook their hands.

"We'll be in contact." She promised the five of them saying their goodbyes before they left. Joe and Demi were going to stay behind and have a coffee but Jesse and Bethany had some school work that needed doing. It had been a while since Joe and Demi got some time to themselves where they were both off work for the day.

"They were nice." Demi stated as she moved so she was sitting next to Joe.

"Yeah they were but I don't know if they like us," Joe admitted. "Or Jesse more like, Bethany and Claire were fine."

"I'm sure we just have to win him over a bit, it shouldn't take much doing." Demi assured him leaning over kissing him gently before pulling away leaving a smile on both their faces. They still to this day enjoyed spending time with one another, still learning things. They didn't see themselves getting bored anytime soon.