Thirteen

Joe pushed his wheelchair through the hallway carefully not wanting to run over anyone's toes but that was being kind because they weren't kind to him. It had been six years since the accident and nine years since he lost his father in the bank robbery. He was now seventeen and in his senior year. He was expected to graduate with good grades that he had worked hard to get. He didn't have any friends so he spent most of his time studying wanting to get good grades so it gave him more choice of what he could do when the time came he was able to walk again but before then he would be helped on benefits as he was unable to work. He planned to go to college and study photography, he figured he'd be able to do that whether he could walk or not.

"Josh what happened to you?!" He heard a voice ignoring it but she soon heard her again but this time closer, it was clear she was coming after him.

"Josh where are you going? We have history next!" Joe stopped turning around looking up seeing the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He didn't even recognise her from anywhere but all he knew was she was after his twin brother not him.

"I'm not Josh." He mumbled.

"Of course you are, I'd recognise that cute face from anywhere. Why are you in a wheelchair?" Joe sighed turning around again starting to head down the corridor not surprised when she started to follow him again.

"My name is Joe, your after my jerk of a twin brother Josh. He's skiving today and wasting his life drinking with his friends." Joe answered in the same monotone. It had been a while since anyone had got them mixed up just because he was in a chair and his brother wasn't. Their relationship soon faded when Josh found new friends but Joe couldn't just blame his brother for this, he had pushed his whole family away since the accident.

"Oh well Joe my name is Demi." She introduced.

"Why are you still here? Leave like everyone else does, I'm better off on my own." Joe demanded but he wasn't harsh.

"I know you may know me as a bitch and a bully but between us I'm not really like that. You seem to need some company."

"I'm fine thanks for the offer but like I said I'm better off by myself," Joe stated swiping his card over the elevator seeing the doors open. "I'm not allowed to bring anyone up, bye." He wheeled himself in avoiding eye contact with Demi as the doors closed behind him. Demi sighed as she turned around, she didn't like seeing people down like he was.

"Hey where were you?" Willa questioned as Demi approached her, this was when Demi's personality changed into the complete opposite of what she was showing around Joe. She had to be popular to get herself through her daily struggles. She couldn't get Joe out of her mind though, just how upset he seemed to be but it didn't seem to bother him at all.

"Just about." Demi answered.

"Did you find Josh?" Demi shook her head.

"Someone told me him and his friends have gone drinking or something." Demi answered as they wondered down the hallway together.

"Doesn't surprise me," Willa muttered laughing looking over at Demi when she didn't laugh, she was in her own world. "Demi are you okay?"

"Um yeah I'm fine, sorry." Demi replied.

"I said it doesn't surprise me."

"Oh." She spoke laughing at the end but it was put on. She just wanted to see Joe again and see what she could do to make him feel better.