Fifty Six

"Thank you baby girl." Joe praised as he felt Kaia's sloppy lips leave his cheek. Kaia giggled as Joe gently pulled her down onto his lap.

"Dada." She mumbled fisting his shirt as she stood up on his legs so she was roughly the same height as he was. Joe leaned forward pecking her lips gently making her giggle again squealing as he started to kiss all over her face. The year old toddler tried to push him away but he was too strong, Joe laughed as he stopped sitting her down properly Kaia snuggling into his side.

"I heard giggles, mommy thinks Kaia is awake from her nap with daddy." Demi cooed as she entered the room making Kaia giggle.

"Momma!" She exclaimed as she reached out for her Demi lifting her up kissing the side of her head. Demi loved parenthood, she didn't feel as if Kaia wasn't hers at all. She loved her as much as she would if she was her own daughter. She couldn't imagine life without her now.

"We should get you ready, Josh will be here soon with your mom," Joe sighed nodding his head. "Are you okay?"

"Just nervous." Joe admitted Demi taking a seat next to him pecking his lips gently as Kaia was sat down properly in her lap.

"It's normal to be nervous, just think about how long you've wanted this." Demi encouraged Joe nodding his head again smiling as Kaia reached out and touched his cheek.

"I'll just miss this little one." Joe cooed kissing the side of her head. Today was the day Joe would have his surgery to fix his spinal cord and hopefully get his legs working in the future. It was still uncertain that it would but over the past year Demi had been helping him to do some leg exercises twice on a good day. They knew it would take more time but as long as it happened they didn't care. Joe just wanted the life back, where he could be independent again and do everything that he was doing before the accident.

Joe was laid in a hospital bed in a hospital gown getting ready for his surgery. He had Demi and his mother by his side for support, he didn't want too many people crowding him and Josh had offered to look after Kaia with Theo. The doctors were preparing for the operation, Joe would be out for the duration which he was more worried about, he had never been through that.

"You'll be fine Joseph." Denise comforted taking hold of his hand squeezing it gently, Joe had been feeling nervous for a couple of days now.

"I know, I'm just working myself up for nothing." Joe stated.

"That does sound like you." Demi giggled kissing his cheek gently as she squeezed his hand. Joe knew he had loads of support and if the operation wasn't going to work he was confident that Demi wasn't going to leave him. They had been together for so long now and she had known nothing more than his chair, they had their daughter to think about now.

"I'll go see if I can find a doctor and see if they're ready." Denise stated knowing the sooner Joe got taken into the theatre the better. It would put his mind at peace a bit. She left the room leaving her son alone with his wife.

"We may have our own kids in five years." Demi grinned Joe smiling at the thought of watching Demi's belly grow until their son or daughter was in their arms.

"I love you." Joe tilted his head towards Demi who smiled leaning down kissing him gently Joe kissing back Demi pulling away a moment later.

"I love you too handsome." She replied pecking his lips again before she stood up straight squeezing his hand gently as Denise entered the room again a nurse following her.

"We're ready if you are." She announced Joe nodding his head saying his final goodbyes to Denise and Demi before his bed was pushed away.