Thirty Nine

Demi and Joe entered the pound after they had shared lunch with Denise, Kevin and Frankie. They were excited about what a puppy or dog would bring to their lives, wanting to have something special to keep their minds occupied. It would give them something to baby which they have wanted to do for so long. They had so much to give.

"What kind of dog are you looking for?" Mark, the worker questioned as he led them both through the pound Joe and Demi keeping their eyes on the dogs which were jumping up at the cage. All they could hear was barking.

"Any, we have a field next to our house so we could take him or her there." Demi explained keeping an eye on Joe not wanting him to get stuck anywhere, the passage way wasn't massive.

"Puppy or dog?" He questioned again.

"Puppy." Joe grinned slightly making Demi giggle. Joe had been asking for a dog for a while now, he knew what they needed to continue their lives whilst they wait for someone to choose them to raise their son or daughter.

"A Labrador had some puppies and they've just gone up for adoption, would you like to have a look?" Joe and Demi turned to one another before agreeing continue to follow him to a room where they were to wait until he got the puppies, Demi sat down next to Joe gabbing hold of his hand smiling when he kissed her hand.

"This is exciting." Joe grinned slightly making Demi laugh.

"Your mom told me how much you always wanted a dog but it wasn't feasible." Demi stated Joe nodding his head. He had always wanted a dog, he grew up without pets which he wished he hadn't, it was the only thing he would change about his childhood besides his father dying.

"If we ever have kids I don't want them to grow up without pets." Joe admitted Demi not helping but agree, she felt the same.

"It's not if, it's when." Demi stated pecking his lips gently but they looked up when Mark came back with a cage in his hands. He set it down on the ground opening the door, they were unable to see anything until one puppy darted out and towards them. Demi giggled picking him up when he jumped up at her legs fussing him when he got hyper in her arms.

"It appears the others are asleep." Mark stated but lifted a couple of them out, they just yawned and settled down again as their sibling continued to get fussed by Demi and Joe.

"Well I don't see how we can't take this one home." Demi cooed passing the puppy over to Joe, he calmed down a little bit letting Joe pet him.

"Should I get the paperwork then?" Mark questioned leaving when both of them agreed.

"Come on Woody we're home now." Demi cooed as she entered the house Joe following not far behind, he had all the dog supplies in his lap continuing to follow Demi into the living room. She took the dog basket from him which held food bowls and other needs for the puppy they had just adopted setting them on the floor before she opened the cage.

"Just set him on the floor and let him explore, we'll shut the doors so he doesn't escape." Joe suggested Demi following his instructions helping him to sit down on the couch in more comfort as they planned not to move again for today, they needed to get Woody settled. Woody was exploring the room as Joe's eyes were on him sniffing around at his environment but he soon got bored and ran over to Joe who laughed lifting him up on the couch. The dog yawned before curling up in his lap falling asleep.

"Joe we have a message on the answer phone." Demi stammered slightly.

"Who from?" He inquired.

"The adoption agency," Demi begun Joe now looking over in her direction. "A couple has picked us and wants to meet with us."