Ten

Denise rushed down to Joe's side already seeing blood oozing out of the wound on his head. He was unconscious having his mother by his side his brother's eyes on him wanting him to move. In any way possible so they knew that he was okay. Denise shook him gently trying to wake him but he remained still, she felt the tears roll down her cheeks as she looked up at her oldest son.

"Kevin phone a ambulance for me," She spoke softly not wanting any of her sons to think that there was anything seriously wrong with their brother but she couldn't stop the tears rolling down her cheeks, he had been out for a while now. She couldn't help but look up at the man she had been seeing for a couple of weeks. "And the police." Kevin ran off Denise not trying to stop Richard as he fled from the house.

"We're going to take him to the hospital, do you want to come down with him?" Denise sighed looking between her middle son and the rest of her sons. She couldn't leave Joe in hospital by himself but she couldn't leave her other four boys alone either.

"Kevin do you think you could look after your brothers before Granny gets here? I'll lock the doors and windows." Kevin was thirteen and responsible for his age, it would only be for ten twenty minutes until her mother arrived. Kevin didn't say anything, he just nodded his head. Denise kissed her boys before she left the house locking the door behind her. She got into the ambulance wiping her tears away as she stared at her middle son. It did look good, being out for as long as he was. She felt a paramedic lay her hand on hers Denise looking up at her.

"He'll be okay, he will be in good hands." She assured her.

"H-He's only Eleven," Denise stammered her eyes now back on Joe who had a bandage around his head to try and reduce the bleeding coming from his head.

"He will be okay, we'll know more when he wakes up." Denise nodded her head as she continued to cry gently. Even when they arrived at the hospital Joe wasn't awake but she held his hand the whole time until doctors came to evaluate the young boy.

"What happened?" Doctor Greene questioned.

"I think my boyfriend or ex boyfriend pushed him down the stairs. It's what my other boys had told me, o-our stairs are wooden." She explained.

"Well he has a clear wound on his head but other than that and bruises I think he should be okay but when he wakes up we'll need to check for any brain damage. Did he hit his head hard?" He evaluated questioning her again.

"Brain damage?" She stammered again Doctor Greene laying a hand on her arm. "But I don't know, I just entered the house when he just hit the floor."

"That's fine, just push the button for a nurse to come through when he wakes up and we'll evaluate him properly." He instructed Denise nodding her head as she wiped away her tears from her cheeks, she wanted be strong for her son in case he woke up.

"Thank you." Denise spoke Doctor Greene giving her a warm smile.

"It's no problem." He left the cubical so he could do his rounds on his other patients until Joe woke up from what happened. Denise leaned over kissing Joe's cheek before she pulled away moving some hair out of his eyes taking hold of his hand.

"I'm so sorry baby boy, this is all my fault." Denise choked slightly admiring her son. She felt as if she had failed as a mother, she had put her sons in danger by leaving them at home with a man she thought she could trust. She didn't know if she'd ever trust another man again, not after what had happened to Joe. She squeezed his hands when he started to come around again a small groan escaping his lips. "I'm here Joe, how are you feeling?" Joe's eyes opened tears coming to his eyes as he looked over at his mother.

"I-I can't feel my legs." He choked.

-------------------------------------------------------

Comments please!