Twenty Seven

Joe wheeled himself through the hospital once he had asked where his mom was. She had told them all that she wouldn't want them to see her in pain but Joe had to be with her, he didn't care whether she was in pain or not. He just wanted her to have some company and he had never been a huge fan of loud noises. The game was starting to cause a headache and get him worked up, he knew it could be a reason why he overreacted about the text but he knew Josh was right. He did trust his brother and he definitely trusted Demi, she had done nothing but help him since they met. Joe knocked on the door before he opened it. Denise looked up from her book seeing it was Joe, he tried to ignore the needle in her arm as he made himself over.

"Joe, I thought you were with your brothers?" She questioned marking her page in her book setting it down in her lap.

"I-I was." He stammered slightly feeling his mom take his hand.

"What's wrong sweetie?" Joe shrugged his shoulders. "Come on, you can tell me."

"I've only been with Demi for three days and I already feel like a terrible boyfriend," Joe mumbled knowing his mother would want an explanation. "Demi text Josh at the game and I totally took it in the wrong way. I should be able to trust them both but in that moment I didn't."

"People make mistakes in relationships much worse than that, it's okay to get a little jealous. It's what you do with your jealousy." Denise explained.

"I guess, how's treatment going?" Joe questioned.

"It's going well, I feel a little weak but that's bound to happen," Denise squeezed his hand gently. "I'll be okay." Joe leaned his head on the shoulder smiling as she kissed his hair.

"I love you mom."

"I love you too Joe, I know your dad would be proud of who you have become." Joe cracked a small smile. He often wondered how differently his life would be with his father still around. He wouldn't be in his chair but he may not have met Demi at the same time.

Joe smiled as Demi lowered herself on his lap kissing his cheek gently. She had come over that night to surprise him knowing how much he wanted to spend the whole weekend with her. She had already devoted herself to him tomorrow the two of them spending the whole day together, they were both looking forward to it.

"How was the game?" Demi questioned.

"It's not my kind of scene, I ended up in the hospital with mom. Did Josh tell you what happened?" Demi nodded her head gently.

"You can be stupid sometimes," She lectured making him chuckle. "You don't have to worry about anything Joe, we'll tell you what's going on when the time is right. I'm not dating your pig of a brother, that's just disgusting." Joe laughed.

"I know, I overreacted and I'm sorry. I won't let my jealousy get the better of me." Joe vowed pecking her lips gently making her smile.

"Besides if I were to dump you for anyone it would be Frankie." Demi teased pinching his cheeks as he glared at her.

"Don't get his hopes up, your mine." Demi wrapped her arm around his neck leaning her head on his shoulder. She didn't think any less of him just because he was in a wheelchair and not up on his feet, he was the real him and that's all she cared about.

"What do you want to do tomorrow then?" Joe shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't mind, there's not a lot we can do with my chair. We could go swimming? Or you? I'll just sit in the shallow end." Joe suggested.

"No! We're doing something together and something you can do." Joe smiled as they embraced each other.