Eleven

Joe nodded his head his eyes closed laid back on the pillow as the doctor touched his arm moving down to his stomach nodding his head each time he felt the doctor touch him including on his hips but the doctor moved his hands down onto his thighs both the doctor and his mother looking at him to see if he would nod his head. He didn't. Denise sighed as he moved his hands down his legs Joe not nodding once but he knew he was touching him there judging by the fact the last place he touched was his hips. Doctor Harrison stood up straight as Joe's eyes opened again, he jotted some things down before looking at the mother and son.

"It appears when you hit your head you paralyzed yourself from the waist down. We'll have to run tests to see if it's permanent or whether with some work you'll be able to walk again but for now get some rest and we'll do the tests tomorrow," He explained looking towards Denise. "You're welcome to go home and grabs some belongings and stay with him, I'll tell a nurse to set a bed up for you." Denise thanked the doctor before he left.

"It will be okay." Denise assured her middle son kissing his head gently seeing that he was a little down. Joe just looked up at her.

"What if I will never walk again?" He questioned, it just broke her heart as a mother, she didn't like to see any of her boys upset or hurt.

"Then you'll get loads of support from me and your brothers, we'll all help you adjust to life in a wheelchair." Denise assured him again.

"I-I'll never do karate again." He mumbled laying his head down shutting his eyes. Denise sighed kissing his cheek gently holding his hand.

"We'll get through this I promise, I'll go home and get some stuff. I won't be long." Denise kissed her son one last time before she left knowing the nurses would look after him while she was away. She just couldn't believe that the man she thought was so good with her boys had caused her son to not be able to walk again.

"Mom is Joe okay?!" Josh questioned as he ran over to her with Kevin not far behind. Nick and Frankie were in bed now just as worried about their brother as everyone was but they had managed to get to sleep. Denise kissed both their heads before taking their hands leading them into the living room where her mother was.

"Joe will be fine but he will be in a wheelchair for a while if not for his life, we'll have to all be supportive of him alright." Denise encouraged.

"A wheelchair? But why?" Kevin questioned this time.

"He is unable to walk, paralyzed from the waist down. He's a little down about it so we'll have to cheer him up as much as we can alright. I'm staying with him tonight so Granny will stay here with you and take care of you." Denise couldn't deny she was thinking about how she would have to change her house to cater for a wheelchair, she would have to change rooms so Joe could have a bedroom down here with his own walk in bathroom. Everything would have to change and she could only blame herself for it.

"But Joe won't like that! He can't be!" Josh exclaimed letting the tears fall from his eyes. Denise sighed bringing him down into her arms as he begun to sob into her shoulder rubbing his back gently. It was rare Josh got upset but he loved his brother so much and didn't want to see him bound to a wheelchair. They all knew that wasn't something Joe would like. He had always been a lively boy and now for him to be stuck in a wheelchair was hard to even think about. Denise weren't sure how much he would actually cope.

"It will be okay." Denise whispered in his ear but she wasn't quite sure at the moment but it was her fault and she knew it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Comments please!