Sixty

Within six months of doing exercise Joe could stand up on his legs, within another six months he could walk with the help of crutches. It had been a whole year since the operation and he couldn't believe how far he had come from not being able to feel his legs at all to being able to feel them, being able to wiggle his toes, standing up and now being able to walk with crutches. He never walked for long because it caused strain on his legs and back, he still had his chair if they went out places where he needed to do a lot of walking but he tried to use his legs as much as he could. They were yet to share intimacy although Joe's body was fully working, they wanted to safe it when they knew it wouldn't cause any discomfort to Joe. Kaia was now two years old and thriving, she had no idea Joe and Demi weren't her parents and loved them both like they were. They did plan to tell her in the future but not this soon, when she would be able to understand what they were talking about. It had been two years since Kaia came into their lives and they were yet to hear from Jesse or Beth but they didn't think it was their duty to contact them, they would do it if they wanted to see their daughter.

"Me draw picture!" Kaia exclaimed thrusting the picture in Demi's face who laughed taking it from her holding it down so she could see it.

"And who are these people?" Demi inquired.

"That daddy with sticks, you and me!" She explained.

"What's this then?" Demi questioned pointing to something on the page she couldn't make out, Kaia was a creative girl. She always wanted to get her hands messy in glue and glitter or draw pictures for her family and friends.

"That baby brother or sister!" Demi giggled kissing her forehead.

"I'm sorry baby girl but mommy isn't having a baby yet, I know we're keeping you waiting aren't we." Demi cooed trying not to laugh again as she put her grumpy face on.

"Not fair." She grumbled.

"You'll understand when your older," Demi kissed her lips forcing the pout away from her lips making her giggle. Kaia never stayed upset for long. "Now I think daddy has been in bed for long enough, should we go wake him?"

"Yeah!" She exclaimed getting up running upstairs Demi following not far behind laughing as Kaia entered her parent's bedroom jumping on the bed but she was careful fully aware that daddy's legs could still cause him pain.

"Wake up daddy!" She exclaimed as she jumped up and down on the bed, Joe startled awake but couldn't help but laugh along with Demi.

"You cheeky monkey!"Joe exclaimed back grabbing her making her fall down onto the bed in his arms. Kaia giggled struggling in his arms as Joe kissed her repeatedly, when he stopped Kaia stopped struggling staying still breathless from the amount of laughter.

"Does Kaia not like daddy's kisses?" Demi cooed Kaia shaking her head. "Mommy thinks daddy is a good kisser." Demi kissed him gently Joe smiling as they pulled away.

"EW!" They both laughed.

"Do you want some help getting out of bed?" Joe shook his head gently.

"I'm fine, I need the toilet first anyway." Joe stated swinging his legs over the edge of the bed as Kaia climbed off taking hold of Demi's hand.

"Where daddy?" She asked as Demi led her downstairs.

"He'll be downstairs in a minute, should we get the paints out?" Demi questioned Kaia nodding her head quickly sitting up at the table. Demi begun to get the crafts out the cupboard so Kaia would be amused. She was halfway through when they both heard bangs coming from the next room, the hall. Kaia whimpered but Demi shushed her kissing her head.

"It's okay baby girl, wait here." Demi demanded entering the hall her eyes widening when she saw Joe on the floor his crutches not far away from him one snapped in half.

"Joe!" She rushed to his side where he was breathless unable to speak as he felt an immense amount of pain.