Twenty Three

Joe wanted more than anything to get up and run out of the room and away from the problems but he was stuck sat on the couch next to his mother after she just told him and his brothers that she was dying. He gripped harder onto her hand as he broke down crying along with his brothers. Denise kissed his head having to hold back her tears as she tried to comfort all her boys but she only had so many hands. She hugged Frankie as he sat down next to her wanting all her boys close by her side. She didn't want to leave them motherless. Kevin didn't know yet and would hate to tell him too but it had to be done.

"What's happening now?"

"We have enough money for me to have a couple of rounds of chemotherapy, if it works then I'll have surgery to take the tumour away. There's risk it will come back but hopefully not." Denise explained trying her best not to break down, she wanted her boys to know that she was going to be okay, there wasn't any point in thinking she wasn't going to be. It wouldn't help anything.

"I-I can't lose you mom." Joe choked Denise kissing his forehead letting him cry into the nape of her neck as she continued to comfort Frankie.

"Things will be alright." Demi assured Joe kissing his cheek gently, he had calmed down a little bit but was still crying softly Josh having told Demi what was going on. He had always been the stronger of the boys. They were left alone, everyone knew the bond they had grew over the past couple of weeks. They were helping one another.

"I-I already lost my dad, I can't lose her too." Joe stammered feeling Demi squeeze her hand to comfort him. It helped.

"How did you lose your dad?" Demi inquired leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Bank robbery gone wrong, he jumped in front of a young mother and daughter. I was eight," Joe responded sighing slightly. "I was a total daddy's boy, we were so close."

"Really? I think you're a mommy's boy now." Demi stated Joe nodding his head.

"Yeah I love her, she's done so much for me." Joe wiped his eyes leaning his head on top of hers, Demi knew Denise had done a lot for him but she didn't have much of a choice when she blamed herself for what happened.

"You know if your dad hadn't jumped in front of the young girl and mother we might not have met?" Demi questioned Joe lifting his head up as Joe turned towards her.

"That was you and your mom?" Joe question Demi nodding her head.

"I'm sorry Joe." Demi breathed kissing his cheek gently but Joe shook his head letting the tears fall again, he missed his dad but he had learnt how to cope without him.

"Even though I lost dad I'm glad how things turned out," He admitted cracking a small smile. "He died a hero and I might not have met you." Demi smiled too leaning over kissing him gently Joe kissing her back, it lasted a little longer then last time as Joe deepened the kiss wondering whether she knew it was only his second ever kiss the first being when he kissed her not long ago. He didn't know it was the same for her. They only pulled away from one another when they heard a voice being cleared behind them giggling when they saw Josh stood there.

"I'm happy for you and all but I do not need to see that," He stated making them laugh. "Aw how cute are you two?"

"Shut up." Joe snapped jokingly.

"Hang on how come my dorky twin brother has a girlfriend and I don't?" He ruffled Joe's hair making Demi giggle.

"He hasn't asked me yet." Demi teased back.

"Come on Joe your slacking." Josh urged.

"Demi will you be my girlfriend?" Joe questioned Demi nodding her head kissing his lips the two of them laughing as Josh made gagging noises.