Chapter Twenty Three: News

I text Caleb as soon as I park. He is quick to reply and tells me they are going to meet me in the restaurant of the hotel. Hopefully I will be able to eat after they tell me what ever it is they are going to tell me.

   The hostess seats me right away and I don't have to wait long. As soon as she gives me a menu I see Shane round the corner.

  " Good Morning sunshine." I say hugging him.
" You look pretty decent for as much as you drank last night." I say as I release him from my extra tight hug. " I passed out as soon as we got back to the room." He shrugs. " Where is Caleb?" I ask looking around.  " He had a phone call. He said he would be a minute to go ahead and order." He shrugs. " Can you tell me what's going on?" I ask nervously. "Honestly it's best we wait for Caleb." He sighs. " So I am thinking eggs and bacon. You?" He says changing the subject.

" You do realize you are slowly torturing me. I hate waiting! Is mom okay? Is everything okay with Jacob? " I finally give up and sit back in my chair. He is not budging.

" Finally!" I say when I see Caleb walking towards the dining room. "Hey." He smiles hugging me.

"Okay I can't take it. What's going on? Is mom okay? Are you okay?" I say before he even makes it to his chair.

" You never could handle waiting." He shakes his head. "I moved back home which you already know." He takes a breath and I know this is bad news. I can see it on his face. "Mom is fine, she did have an accident." He starts.

"What when what type of accident? What do you mean by minor?" I start to panic.

"Riley, she is okay. We didn't want to tell you over the phone. Jacob is with her now taking care of her. She was in a pretty bad wreck a semi didn't see her and ran her off the road. She broke her back Riley. Mom's is paralyzed from the waist down. There is a lot of swelling still and they are not sure if this is temporary or if it is permanent." He finally says. "Jesus! When? When did this all happen?"I say biting my lip trying not to cry.

"September 10th." He says grabbing for my hand. " September 10th?! Are you fucking kidding me that is well over a month ago and no one thought to call me?" I am livid. I can feel my cheeks start to get hot.

" Riley, mom made us promise not to call you. She didn't want to worry you and with your car accident last year and dad's she didn't want you to worry." Shane tries to explain. " Okay, how would you feel if I didn't tell you guys? To find out well after the fact. You do realize it is the middle of October and I am just now finding out that my own mom is in a fucking wheel chair?"

"I know you are pissed and it wasn't our choice honest. We wanted to call you but mom said she would never speak to us again if we told you." Caleb says frustrated. " You know how stubborn mom is!" Shane adds.

I take a deep breath and look at my brothers. I want to punch them both in the face.

I pull out my phone and start to dial my mom. " Hello ma." I start to cry. " Why didn't you tell me?" I sob. " That isn't right. Damn right I would have come home." She fights and tells me she loves me but she needs me to stay put and that my brothers have her well taken care of. " I am still pissed ma. You guys can't keep things from me like this." I say in between sobs. " What does this mean?" I listen to her describe that she has weekly visits and physical therapy that right now it is touch and go. That Caleb is taking over the main house responsibilities and that there is a nurse that comes in every day. I can't help the tears that continue to fall as she continues to describe there situation. She tells me she loves me and promised to keep me updated. I tell her I love her and hang up the phone.

"You guys are shit. I can't believe you didn't tell me damned what mom said." I shake my head. "She is in good hands we are taking care of her." Caleb continue to try and calm me down. " What about medical expenses. How is she paying the bills? How are you guys paying the bills?" I demand.

"I still have my job they gave me a raise so that covers the normal bills. With her medical the trucking company is paying and we have a good lawyer too that is helping sue the company and the driver. We have it taken care of. We need you to stay in school and get your degree. You sacrificed so much as it is. " Caleb stares at me I can't make eye contact with him yet. I am so angry and hurt. " She is my mom too. You guys can't just leave me out and act like my opinion or feeling don't matter. I can help too damn it." I say throwing down the menu.

"Riley you gave up everything when dad died. You barely made it to school and you were working two jobs on top of your everything else. Plus the money you sent mom last year. It is enough. It's time for us boys to step up and do for her now. When we need you we will tell you. Until then call her check on her and we promise not to leave you out of any more important decisions. This wasn't our choice. We told mom to tell you and she kept putting it off. We wanted to tell you in person and make sure you were okay." Caleb says making some good points but not enough to take away the hurt and anger that I have running through me right now.

"I mean it you guys no more secrets and you have to tell me EVERY detail about what is going on with mom no matter what it is. I want to know. If I don't get weekly updates I will get in my car and just show up at home." I warn them.

" Can we order food now?" Shane cuts in. " I'm not hungry. I need to clear my head." I say standing up.

" We will call you when we are done eating and figure out what we are going to do after. I love you Rye." Caleb says grabbing me for a tight hug. " I love you too, I am just hurt and mad." I say pulling away. " Just call me when you guys are done." I say walking away.
  I can't believe they hid this from me.