Now That I Know The Truth, You're Not Real Chapter 1

Copyright © 2011 Alicia Rosario

All Rights Reserved

I hope you enjoy this! This is my first story on here! It's a little boring in the beginning, but it gets better! <3

So stick with it :)

Promise!

Comment and Vote to let me know what you think, constructive criticism Is welcome.

L_Sun

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *     *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

 Summer 2008

“Ugh I hate waking up in the morning.” I said as I shut the alarm clock off at 7am and got into the shower. It was on the cold side but hey the cold water sure wakes me up for work. When I finished I got ready for work. Breakfast was good.

“Ah, the day looks promising.” I said as I got into my car and started off for work.

I decided to give my dad a call and see if he actually answered me. “Good morning daddy,” I said excitedly when my he answered the phone.

“Good morning sweetheart, but it’s about lunch time here.”

“Oh, well then good afternoon, I just called to say good morning, and now that that’s taken care of have a good day.”

“Before you go, let me just tell you the good news. I’ll be home tomorrow evening so we can go to dinner and talk.”

I squealed with delight. I hadn’t seen my father since graduation. Granted that had only been about a week ago, I was still excited. He never came home so often. “Really? Ok, well I’m at work so I gotta go. Bye daddy, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I left the car and waltzed into the office like I was actually important.

“Well what’s up with you; looking all perky and happy?” My best friend Sapphire asked me.

“I don’t know what started it but, dads coming home and taking me to dinner.”

“Seriously? He was here for graduation. This must be really important. How long’s he going to be here so that I can thank him again for landing me this job?” she asked. I laughed.

“I don’t know but you really should stop forgetting, because you always do and then when you come by to say it he’s gone.”

“Yeah, yeah, shut up I know. Well I think now’s a good time to tell you that Mr. Martin left a whole stack of files on your desk and left a note telling you that he wanted you to review them and correct any misspellings and such, because he’s up to his nose in cases and just went through like 16 last night. I know this, not because I’m nosey and went to your desk but, because he mixed up our desks . . . again. I guess it’s not enough that our names our on them,” she said sighing and shaking her head.

“Why couldn’t you do it?” I asked frowning.

“Because, I’m out running errands today. There was this huge laundry list on your desk with my name on it. Honestly I think he shouldn’t take more than he can fit on a plate or however that saying goes. But, the last thing I have to do is pick his daughter, I think, up from her soccer game at 7.”

“Damn, haha at least I’m done at 5.”

“Yeah but I get paid for all this as time and a half, which I am completely okay with. Anyways I better go.” Before I could say any thing she was gone. Oh well.

When I got to my desk and found a mound of files and a post it note apologizing for the inconvenience, and I thought, Isn’t this my job. . . Oh well.

After I finished “editing” his many errors, I felt this sense of accomplishment and knew a lot more than the average person should know about what a lawyer goes through just to make their client win the case.

It was about 3:30 and I had a huge grin on my face as I walked into Mr. Martins’ office with the files. He didn’t look up as I set the files down though, and I was caught off guard as he asked, “Are they taken care of?” while reading.

“Yes sir, and I was going to get lunch and was wondering-," before I could finish he pointed to the trash bin beside his desk that had a Wendy’s bag sticking out of it.

“I got hungry around noon so I stepped out. You seemed well into your work and didn’t hear me leave my office so I didn’t bother asking you.” I stood there blankly not knowing if he was lying or not. Did he really leave the office without me noticing?

I was dragged out of my thoughts by his fruitless attempts at getting that last bit of drink out of his cup. So I made an offer. “I could get you another drink while I get my food.”

“Great.” He said as he motioned for me to leave the office still not looking up from his reading. I got him a blue Gatorade, after getting his demand through text, before I got my own food.

Once back at the office, I set it down on his desk and then tidied up my desk area until it was 5 and I left. When I got home I put on some summer work out clothes but ended up just going online for a bit.

*8 O’clock*

“Hello” I said answering my phone.

“Hey Kitty, wanna go out?”

“No not really.”

“Too bad, I’m downstairs in the living room you have ten minutes.” I sighed in defeat as I hung up the phone and changed. I really needed to see if she had a copy of my house keys or what, because she has this bad habit of just waltzing into my home. It’s easier than answering the door, but if she can do it, anyone can. Right?

*    *    *    

“Thanks, dinner was fun.” I said as I stepped out of Sapphires car.

“Anytime,” she said out her window before backing out of my driveway.

I went inside, changed and looked at the clock, it was quarter to eleven. I took out a book I’d gotten from the library a couple of days ago and began reading it on the rocking chair by the back of the house.

I lost track of time as I delved into the novel in my hands. Suddenly, there was a loud bang and a flash of lightning, and with that it started down pouring. I looked at the clock after finishing up chapter 7 and it was well past midnight. “Damn, I should get some sleep,” I said after I unglued my eyes from the book.

“Stupid time, stupid storm,” I said as I closed the book and left it on the chair as I got up and walked towards the front of the house where the stairs were.

Just then a loud knock came from the front door and then the doorbell started going off. There was only one person that I could think of that had the audacity to annoy the shit out of someone by disturbing them so late . . . Sapphire. Annoyed that she interrupted me from the sleep that I was walking to get to, I rolled my eyes and stalked over to the door, already talking as I opened it.

“Do you have any i-”. Holy shit it’s a man.