"But it's not as much fun on your own, join me Nik. It's the least you could do after sticking a dagger through my heart," Kol was trying to manipulate his brother into joining his feeding party.

"Okay," He sighed after a moment, "Why not? I didn't have nearly enough to drink at the party last night with you trying to kill Rebekah's date all night."

"Yes, go," Rebekah said as they walked out.

"Rebekah," Elijah walked in front of his sister. "I'm worried about Mother. Have you not noticed her acting differently?"

"She's been dead for a thousand years, what's different for her?" Rebekah shrugged. I listened in to their conversation, I knew something was off with her.

"Sage, she was burning sage," Elijah said, handing his sister something. "A privacy spell."

"Why don't you ask Finn? He's been doting on her," Rebekah shrugged.

"I don't trust Finn. He hates what we are," Elijah shook his head.

"No he doesn't, and as for Mother... She returned for one reason: to make our family whole." Rebekah could be so naive at times. "She loves us, what trouble are you looking for?"

Rebekah walked out of the room and he sighed. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "You're right to look into this more."

"Why do you say that?" He asked me.

"I don't trust your mother," I shrugged, "Something is off with her and Elena. They're planning something, I just don't know what it is."

"Is that why you were being so funny with her last night?" His eyes searched mine intently, looking for answers.

"Yes," I nodded, "I think she did something at the toast... You should have seen the way Elena and your mother were watching the five of you drink that champagne."

"Then why did you drink it?" Elijah frowned.

"I didn't, I only pretended to," I shrugged, "I wanted to stop you but I didn't know how without attracting your mother's attention."

"It's okay, it's not your fault. We'll figure it out," Elijah smiled softly, resting his forehead on mine.

"Together," I whispered and kissed his lips.

Elijah decided it would be a good idea for us to go and see Elena, to get some answers. "Elena, we don't mean to intrude," Elijah smiled at her, "But I wondered if you would accompany us? I have something I would like to show you."

She nodded and grabbed her coat, "Lead the way," She smiled and followed us over to his car. I sat in the back, letting Elena ride shotgun so that Elijah could talk to her. I didn't really need to be there, but Elijah wanted a second opinion, since I had known Elena longer and seemed to know when anyone was lying. We arrived in the middle of a forest and Elijah and Elena got out of the car. I hung back as they walked ahead, Elijah telling Elena what the place looked like a thousand years ago and some other facts about Mystic Falls.

I followed them through the trees until Elijah stopped in front of a pile of rocks. "Do you know this place too?" Elena asked him.

"I do indeed, below this is a cabin I used to play in as a boy. It connects to a system of tunnels that go all over, it was natures way of protecting us against the savages of the full moon," Elijah looked nostalgic as he bent down to the floor and picked up a leaf. "My mother said that there must be a balance."

I noticed Elena grow uncomfortable, before she said, "Elijah, I should probably go home."

"I admire you, Elena," Elijah said, standing up again. "You remind me of qualities I had long before my mother turned us. It's not in your nature to be deceitful, and yet when I asked you about my mother the other night... You lied to my face."