Chapter Twelve - Birthday

Today was my birthday, and Luke's too. After breakfast I got dressed into my spare clothes and ready to go out for lunch. As I do every year threw on a random dress and a pair of pumps to match, Luke wore a pair of faded jeans and a button down shirt. We always went to the same restaurant, ever year. It was our tradition. The restaurant isn't that fancy, but it's not the kind you can just show up in a hoodie and jeans either.

Peter and Jan. Luke's parents were waiting for us in the hall when we went down the stairs. Peter was in a suit looking very smart, a black tie neatly around his neck, and Jan was wearing a light pink blazer and matching skirt, with some expensive looking jewellery on her neck and almost every limb. He Blonde hair was elegantly pulled into a side bun and she had diamond earrings dangling from her ears.

I cringed when I saw them, I just hope Dad looks half as respectable as them.

''Hannah happy birthday!'' Jan called to me as I hit the bottom step.

''Thanks.'' I smiled at her.

''Happy birthday son.'' Peter said to Luke, they then did one of those 'man-handshake-hugs' as Luke thanked him.

''You both look lovely!'' Jan gushed at us as she fixed her husbands collar.

''Thanks Mom.'' Luke sighed, he wasn't great with compliments, especially from his Mom. He's always said she embarrassed him, but I know he loves it really – he's a mamma's boy.

''Thanks June, you look good too.'' I added to be polite.

''Aiden!'' June called up the stairs loudly.

''What?'' Aiden yelled back. He was still in his room and we were waiting for him.

''Are you ready?'' His mother shouted.

''Yeah com'n'' he answered sounding fed up. I don't think he liked the family outings.

Luke and I headed out to the car just as I heard Aiden's door open and close and loud footsteps coming downstairs.

Luke's parents got into the front of the car, Peter driving and June in the passenger seat. Luke opened the back door on the right and jumped in. I opened to door to the left and jumped in too. I looked around the car wondering how this was going to work out, where would Aiden sit? Seconds after I shut the door it opened again and I turned to see why. Aiden was standing there looking at me expectantly.

''What?'' I asked him when he didn't say anything.

''Move over.'' he smirked at me.

''Oh.'' I answered as I realised how it was going to work.

A few minutes later we were out on the main road, Aiden pressed up against my left side, Luke pressed against my right.

I got shivers and tingles when Aiden's leg pressed against my bare one. I tried to play cool and look out the window casually. Luke was texting on his phone, seemingly oblivious to his surroundings, Jan and Peter were in the middle of their own conversation, and I was trying my best not to drool over Aiden.

He was wearing a pair of dark skinny jeans, a white button shirt and a leather jacket, not to mention the sexy boots he had on as well. He. Looked. Hot.

I looked right ahead out the front window of the car and hoped we would get there soon. I didn't know how much more of this I could take.

After about five minutes more driving on the main road I suddenly found myself humming one of my favourite songs: I Hate Everything About You, by Three Days Grace.

Then I realised it was because I could hear it. I turned my head curiously to look at Aiden. At some stage he had put his headphones in and began to listen to music. I smiled to myself when I thought of him liking the same music as me. He was staring into space out the window, his head bobbing slightly in time to the music.