Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

          The claustrophobic feeling that Anya had felt earlier in the carriage vanished as she took in the spacious room that housed the ball. The arches formed by columns created an open feeling and tables had been placed around the room in a way that complimented the design of the ballroom. At the end of the long room was a dais for the royalty to sit at.

            Many voices were talking at once, but one particular one carried over all the others. “Anya Thimes.” The all-too-familiar tenor voice whispered in her ear.

            “Good evening, Mason.” She turned to face him, a smile lifting the corners of her lips. As much as she would hate to admit it, it was a relief to see that sandy hair and those blue eyes.

            The corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled back. “Good evening to you as well. I must say that the dress looks very nice on you. I am guessing it fit well?”

            “Yes, thank you very much.”

            A familiar head of orange hair made its way over to where the two of them stood. “Anya, I thought you would take forever...” Julie seemed to only just notice Mason standing there. “Y-Your Majesty!” She hurriedly curtsied to the prince.

            Mason gave a small bow of his head. “Good evening.”

            “I thought you had met him before.” Anya muttered to Julie as she straightened. Her friend only flushed, ignoring Anya completely.

            “I must insist that the two of you join me at my table.” Mason seemed to be unaware of their short side conversation.

            Julie wasted no time in replying. “We would love to!” Mason grinned and led them to the dais, Anya wondering the whole time if this was what Kavoc meant by drawing attention to herself. People were openly staring at her and Julie, obviously wondering why these two ladies, seemingly unknown and common, were being allowed to sit with the Royal Court. Anya and Julie curtsied low before the king and queen before taking their seats, Mason and Julie sitting on either side of Anya.

            It was not long after that the dinner bell sounded and the guests began to quiet down and move towards their seats. “Welcome, guests.” The kind stood, addressing his people. “We are overjoyed to have your presence here at our... humble ball.” Polite laughter rang throughout the room as the king himself chuckled. “May I insist that you take your seats and enjoy the evening.” In any commoner's ball, there would have been cheers at the end of a particular speech such as the king's, but there was only polite applause at this event. Except for one voice.

            “Long live King Caam! Long live Queen Chesa!” Anya eyes scanned the room until she found the culprit. He was beet red. More polite applause accompanied the outburst as the entire room sat down.

            Servants brought out the first course and placed it in front of the guests before they disappeared back into the kitchens. It consisted of a soup made with carrots, noodles, and cooked chicken that was creamy and delicious. More food followed that and Mason continuously made comments about how well something tasted or of guests in attendance. Anya made only a few quiet replies. That is, until Julie said something.

            The friend leaned over during a break in the conversation. “Do you and the prince still argue then?”

            “What? No.” Anya turned with a perplexed expression to look at Julie.