Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen  

            Crown Prince Mason grunted as the broad sword entered his body and blood immediately bloomed on his white shirt like a red rose opening its petals. His blue eyes widened as Mason looked up in surprise at Anya before they moved to glance down at the sword imbedded in his chest.

            No!” Anya sat up, her knuckles white from gripping the sheets on her bed tightly. Her chest heaved as she glanced around the room, recognizing it as her own. There was no fountain and more importantly, no Mason. Lifting a hand to her damp forehead, Anya sighed in relief. “It was only a dream.”           

            A dream that had left her with more restless nights than none. However, she did not let her thoughts dwell on it any longer. Anya stood up from her bed and hastily prepared herself a bath to rid herself of the sweat covering her body. She rolled out the large wooden basin from her house and placed it where it would not be seen by anyone who happened to walk by. After pulling some water from a pond nearby, she filled the tub and climbed inside. The water was frigid, but soothing. She let her body submerge entirely, closing her eyes. Thoughts of her past week brushed her mind. Nyetus. Julie. Mason… The dream. Anya sat up in the tub, rubbing water out of her eyes. Just clean, Anya thought, no thinking. Once she was clean, she dressed herself in a comfortable light blue dress.

            Feeling quite ravenous, Anya went into the kitchen to prepare some food. Just as she was about to sit down and eat, there was a soft knock at the door. Cautiously, Anya placed her food down. Nyetus words of caution concerning the risks she had taken. Another knock was heard, this one more urgent than the last. Anya had to ask herself if her enemies would play out an act this long. The answer came instantly; they would try anything. She didn’t have any longer to think before the front door opened with a bang, revealing Julie. The girl was wearing a deep blue colored dress that was simple, yet form-fitting. Her orange hair was done in a complicated style, with three long and perfect curls falling down her back.

            “Oi! Wha' are ya doing? Yer hair is wet and tha' certainly is no ball gown.” All the formality of being a Royal Messenger was lost at the moment as Julie looked at Anya incredulously.

            Anya, figuring she would not be allowed to eat, went to the kitchen to clean her mess. “Whatever do you mean?”  Anya was relieved to find that Julie was not bearing any grudges against her from their earlier encounter.

            Julie blew some stray curls out of her face. “The Prince came to me today, told me ya migh' be lookin' to skip the ball tonigh'.” She crossed her arms across her chest.

            Anya blinked owlishly, racking her mind for answers. “The ball!” She mumbled to herself as it dawned on her. “It totally slipped my mind!”

            “Of course it did.” Her friend rolled her eyes. “Come on, then! Where’s ya dress?” Julie asked as she headed towards Anya’s bedroom before stopping. “Ya do ‘ave one, righ’?”

            It was Anya's turn to roll her eyes; Julie would ask that. Grabbing the girl's wrist, Anya pulled Julie into her bedroom and pulled the ball gown from out of her wardrobe. Julie gasped. “Oh, it is simply gorgeous! Anya, please let me do ya hair!” She asked, clapping her hands together. 

            “Are you sure you want to?” Anya nervously touched her hair, feeling the damp knots and tangles under her fingers.