Side Story 4: The Spectators Side

Side Story 4-1: The Valkyrie's Story

"Three, two, one, and let the race to the [Hill] begin!" The bell rings as the announcer finishes counting down, and every participant began sprinting to the pyramid placed in the center of the arena.

The battlegrounds was known as the [Battlefield of Kir Vakus], an attempt to replicate one of the great three ruins of the Demon Race. It wasn't very accurate at all, the obelisks were twice the size of these, the pyramid more steep, and there was a monolith at the top of it. I know this, because I lived through the event myself.

Year 452, Atalin sent over half of their army to invade [Kir Vakus], the largest structure erected at the time. This was also the human's first aggressive move, which was quite a risky thing for them to send such a large portion of their forces. They also sent the [Hero], though, which was a good choice by them.

During battle, he supported our infantry from the back using [Lightning Magic] to obliterate their front lines, and [Ice Magic] to stop their cavalry. He alone was enough to defend against the [Demon Magic] casted by enemy mages. The power of his magic was enough to completely shatter all the obelisks in the battlefield, and he even destroyed the monolith at the top of the pyramid, which was deemed an object that would never fall.

Thoth truly was a [Hero], a figure of absolute power in the war against the Demons. It's what got me interested in him, and I immediately started following him about a month after traveling into this world. Back then, my name was 'Avantalya Gard,' but I changed it several times over the years to hide my previous identity. After the [Hero]'s death, people tried to search for his 'partner,' which was me, so it was necessary.

That man, he was a complete taciturn. I always try to communicate with him, but he never replies with more than four words. Sometimes, he doesn't reply at all and communicate with actions. I remember one time he didn't say a single word for over 8 months, which annoyed me greatly. The atmosphere around him was always tranquil, though, something I admired about him greatly.

During the final invasion at the [Demon Lord's Castle], which was ironically named [Epiphany] by dumb scholars later as time went by, Thoth forcibly kept me from coming with him by using his strongest binding magic, [Chains of Gravity]. A spell that binds the target to the very ground with ethereal chains, essentially keeping them still without opposition. The downside to this kind of spell is that it could easily be disabled from any outside force, but he was able to cast it on me while we were alone, just before he went on his expedition. I didn't expect him to know such a powerful spell, and anxiety filled my heart as he walked away and left me there. He knew that even a valkyrie like me cannot break the force of these chains.

Stuck there for 2 days and night, the chains suddenly disappeared, and I panicked instantly. The only other way to disable the chains was the caster's death. As fast as I could, I spread my wings out and flew towards the castle. Upon arrival, battle was still raging outside the castle, and it looks like no one has entered it yet. I enter through a large hole in the roof, which lead to the throne room. It had obvious signs of destruction from an intense battle, and I immediately began to fly around in search for the [Hero] and the [Demon Lord] .

Killing all other demons inside the castle, I could not find the corpse of the two powerful existences anywhere. All that was left, was the demons that I killed, and a ruined throne room with the ceiling completely destroyed. I was filled with grief, being unable to find a single thing related to him in that room. After that, I disappeared from this world as well, for over 2 millenniums. It was only recently that I've gotten over the depression of his death, and now I've returned to try and live my life normally. At least, that was my previous goal until I had a nostalgic scene.