The Horde Of Fire

Chapter 12: The Horde of Fire

Sweat begins to soak into my bandages as the heat from the forest's flames surround me. At most, I'll last about 15 minutes before my body becomes affected by the temperature. I continuously leak mana around me, and the ground begins shaking as the stampede of monsters approach my location. They all ignore the aura of death that hits them, and continue converging onto my position.

I stand my ground, and keep my guard up. The first monster leaps out of the flaming bushes to my right, and I react to it immediately. It was another one of those flaming wolves that nearly ambushed me earlier, so this is going to be revenge for that. Its jaws were wide open, head tilted sideways, aiming straight for my throat. I was faster, though.

Without taking a step, I simply rotate my body and tilted it slightly to the left, before throwing a left hook right at its head. The punch hits its muzzle, and it crushes right through the jaw, disabling its mouth. I take one step to the left so it lands on the ground next to me, before stomping on its neck to finish it off. I stop leaking mana, and focus on the battle that's now starting.

A group of three monsters appear from the flames, trying to attack me from three sides. From behind, was a large boar with a flaming back. On the left side, there was a deer with its antlers on fire. Both the boar and the deer were much larger than me, but I can use that to my advantage. To the right, a large bird with red and orange feather designs was flying straight at me. There doesn't seem to be any fire on the outer body, so most likely, it was a creature that can breathe fire.

The boar begins charging at me, and the deer maintains its distance for now. The sparrow started to dive towards me, and it would arrive faster than the boar, so I'll take care of that for now. As the bird dived at me, it opened its beak and a small, quick ball of fire bursts from the small mouth. I step to the side and dodge the fireball, while waiting for the sparrow to come within one meter around me.

Just as it was just about to pierce me with its beak, I dodge it and thrust my arm out, catching it. As predicted, its outer body wasn't very hot, so I was able to hold it. I apply pressure to my grip, and kill it by crushing it's bones in my grasp. Blood starts dripping out of its body and into my hands, the bandages absorbing the blood. I don't mind it though, and continue on with the battle.

Still holding on to the bird, I turn to the left and release a back kick straight at the snout of the boar charging at me. The snout sinks into the creature's face, and was killed instantly. My leg was stuck for a second though, and the deer tried to take advantage of this and charged at me with its fiery antlers pointed at me. By the time I was able to pull out my leg, the deer was 2 meters away from hitting me.

I didn't have enough time to try and dodge it, so instead, I leapt back and raised the sparrow's corpse in my hand, holding it like a dart. I throw it straight between the antlers and into the skull of the deer, but it didn't go deep enough to kill. It did cause the monster to steer its direction though, so its charge barely miss me. As it ran by me, I grab one of its antlers and using my strength, pulled on it as hard as I can to drag it onto the ground. I snapped off a part of the antler in the process, which I use to cut its underbelly after it fell over on the ground.

This was the fourth kill in a row, but it still wasn't the end. A large group of wolves cautiously surround me, and I notice that one of the wolves was much bigger than the rest, and its fur was dark red. The alpha wolf, leader of the pack. It growls at me, and I slowly grab the antler of the deer I just killed, snapping off a small part of it. The fire that originally covered the antler was extinguished when it died, so it's safe for me to use now. Upon hearing the snapping sound, it served as a signal for them to strike, and three of the wolves lunge at me at the same time, from three different directions.