The Soul Contract

"You're like a damn sponge, little girl, do you know that?" Currently, it is Friday, the final day of the school week, and I just finished learning all the [Basic Projectile Magic] for [Small Weapons]. Jiriko just gave me a test for it, telling me to try different projectile elements for different guns.

At first, he gave me a [Pistol] and told me to fire a [Water Bullet]. I did it. After that, he gave me a [Submachine Gun], and told me to fire [Wind Bullets]. I did that as well. Finally, he gave me a [Magnum] and told me to fire an [Inferno Bullet]. I successfully fired it.

"I've never heard of anyone learning the basics of a magic type this fast. Three days, it took you. Three days, to learn the basics of [Projectile Magic]. Everything I said to you, you absorbed it like water, sponge girl. You absorb it, and you embed it into your brain before you squeeze it out to take more." I have no idea how to take these words, but I assume it's a compliment in the form of jealousy. Jiriko pinches his forehead, something he commonly does when he's starting to get irritated.

"You make everything look so damn easy..." He mutters to himself.

"...sorry?" I squeak out.

"Nothing for you to apologize for. Anyway, little girl, for your fourth day here, we're going to train you in [Gun Knight] combat. The tournament is just around the corner, and I assume that you'll be joining it." I nod in reply, confirming that I will participate in it. Not that I found a way to register yet, and today's the deadline. This may be troublesome.

"Okay then, go the [Arena]. Although there's a class occupying it right now, I booked one of the underground sparring rooms for you to use. It's room 2003, which is on the second floor. In there, a specialist in dual-wielding combat will be waiting for you. She'll help out with the training, because I myself am not capable of teaching you this kind of combat. I'll follow you after I clean up, so just go on ahead." I leave after hearing this, and run towards the [Arena].

The campus is mostly empty, due to classes going on, so I sprint over there at high speed. Speaking of the school, I believe I've finally become a symbol of fear for the other students. This morning, when I walked through the gates, people completely cleared the path for me and allowed me to walk through without any obstacles. They all would watch me walk by with weird expressions on their faces, and whenever I was about to enter through the door, they'd open it for me.

Did I become some crime boss within the school? They treat me with fear and respect it seems. Also, for some reason, I've been getting strange letters placed in my bag whenever I'm separated with it for a moment. I've read some of them, and it seems like I've become some sort of target for multiple people. Most of them were similar to this;

'Dear Aria Brynhildr,

I've had my eyes on you ever since the first day you removed those bandages. I have something very important to say to you behind the school building at the end of the day. Please spare a moment of your time to come and see me.

Sincerely,
Your Secret Admirer.'

I think it's a trap for them to jump me, don't you? I often got letters like these in my previous life, where it lead to several thieves trying to rob me, or groups of mercenaries trying to get rid of me. Never ended well for them, but I'm pretty tired of this kind of stuff. So I didn't go that day, and just went straight home.

I got them as well, today, but I casually just burnt them during lunch on the roof. No need to read more suspicious letters, so I'll just dispose of these useless threats. If they have an important announcement, say it to me in person. Is it really that hard to speak it out loud?

Anyway, I arrive at the arena, and enter the giant colosseum. I find a set of descending stairs, and walk down two floors. There's a sign that tells me which rooms are in which directions, and the room Jiriko told me was at the end of the hall. I proceed to enter through, and as he told me, there is a person already inside, sitting cross legged while waiting for me.