#91: Giving The Main Character Amnesia

Oh boy, is this story trope super cliche if not used right.  Basically, most authors use the amnesia plot line as a cheap way to create internal conflict for the main character.  Usually, this kind of plot is done in an already established series, where the character's origins are already known to the audience.  Thus, giving the main character amnesia out of the blue is tedious and boring.  The whole audience knows the state is only temporary, and that the character will eventually get their memories back unceremoniously.  It is even worse if the character is surrounded by their friends, who can easily help them combat the amnesia.  That is why when Shadow the Hedgehog got amnesia in the Sonic series, it was so hated by fans.  There was really no point to give the character the amnesia, except maybe to move on from his past.  Worse, the writing for it was completely awful, as one of his friends could have easily told him everything he'd forgotten.  The only way to make this plot work is to go the route that The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series took.  The main character with amnesia has to be in an unfamiliar setting, with characters they didn't know previously.  They must then slowly regain the memories themselves through the actions they take and interactions with friends they have made throughout the journey.  All the memories can only return once the character's past catches up to them, where a shocking reveal is made that not only is dramatic, but keeps the audience completely engaged.  This is the only way you'll get away with an amnesia plot.