#83: Long Chapters

For those wanting to write a book out there, there is one important rule you must follow in order to guarantee that you'll book will become popular.  It is a simple trick that some of the best authors out there use, which for some reason isn't used by others.  Publishing will also become an absolute breeze, and your writing will take a little less time.  The simple trick I'm referring to are short chapters.  Shorter chapters in a book help keep more people engaged in the plot and prevents any type of filler that could've entered the story.  That is why they are the preferred route to take when writing a novel.  Now you may be asking, "Isn't a longer book better?".  With that, I answer with a simple no.  Longer books mean more mistakes, such as is the case with giving a book longer chapters.

  Longer chapters for the most part will choke the life out of your book.  Not only will your audience get bored from tons of accidental filler, but it will make your book less original.  Using long chapters in a book is a cliche practice, which so many other authors use to "look more professional".  There is a huge reason why so many people hate the Twilight series, and it isn't just because a love triangle exists inside of the story.  The chapters in all of the books are super long and full of filler, which tends to scare away potential readers.  Personally, I don't hate the series despite this, but I know it is a huge problem that shouldn't be there.  Shorter is better, as it allows you to get to the point of your story faster instead of bogging it down with filler.