Chapter 45 Needing a friend

I'm on my way over to Melissa, she called me an hour ago and told me that I needed to stop by right now, I don't know what the fuss is about but since I ain't working anymore, then I've nothing else to do. Marshall only spend a few days in New York before he had to go back to LA again, so now we're apart again and I almost can't stand it.
I knock on Melissa's door and as soon as she opens the door I see a magazine in her hand, on the front page I see a picture of Marshall (a really good one though) and the headline "Eminem attacks the owner of SinZ!". I immediately take it out of Melissa hand and begin to read the article as I walk into her apartment.

"Eminem attacks the owner of SinZ!
Last Saturday the 29 year old rapper Eminem (Marshall Mathers) attacked the 28 year old owner of the nightclub SinZ, New York. Dan Richard is now speaking open about the attack:

Dan Richard first opened his nightclub back in 1997 and it has been a success since, therefore it came as a surprise that he would be attacked at his work. Eminem and the 27 year old Queens rapper 50 cent (Curtis Jackson) rented the club's VIP lounge for the night, when Eminem shortly after bursted into Dan Richard's office and attacked him.
"Apparently he's dating a now previous employer of mine; Amelia Dane and Marshall didn't like her work outfit, so he pinned me against the wall and threatened me." Dan tells us. Amelia Dane and Marshall Mathers was seeing together a couple of months back in Detroit together visiting the cemetery. Eminem and Amelia were in a relationship when they were younger and now it looks like they've reunited. Amelia owned the Club Ins (located in New York, LA and Detroit) with her at that time fiancé Kevin Jones, but after the break up, she signed the clubs over in Kevin's name. Dan didn't know that Amelia Dane was in a relationship with the rapper, or else he wouldn't let her serve her that night.
"The outfit is the same outfit as I tell all the girls to wear when they're serving in the VIP, sure it shows a little skin but that's was it is. If I knew that Amelia dated Marshall then I wouldn't had let her serve him as it's against the work politic to serve for people you have that kind of relations with." Dan says and states that Marshall didn't hit him but he banged him against the wall twice, which is enough for him to sue the rapper.
"I'm not gonna stand by and say that what happened was okay because he was jalousie, he's a grown man and he should learn to control his anger." Dan says.
It hasn't been possible to get a statement from Eminem yet. "

I'm in shock that Dan would make a statement like that, I knew he was an asshole but this is way over the line! This is not gonna end well, there's pictures of me all over that article and I'm afraid that people are gonna recognize me now. Another thing is, that I can't believe that Marshall haven't told me about the fact that Dan has reported him to the police. Now I also feel guilty for not just walking out of there but I had the need to get my boyfriend to protect me.
"That lying prick!" I say angrily.
"The shit is gonna blow up." Melissa says what I'm already thinking.
"I have to call Marshall." I say as dial his number and call him.

"Can I call you back?" He asks when he picks up the phone.
"Why haven't you told be that Dan reported you to the police for assault?" I ask him ignoring his question.
"Can we talk about it later? I'm in a meeting."
"Marshall it's all over news, I'm panicking here!"
"Amelia, I'm in a meeting! I have to call you back!" He hisses and hangs up.

I can't believe he just hung up on me, he's never done that unless he was very very angry, but I haven't done anything to piss him off, I just wanna know what's going on and what to expect now.
"He fucking hung up on me." I say and burry my face in my hands. I don't know what to do, I don't want all this attention, I'm not ready to make it official with Marshall, I'm not ready to meet his kids, I'm not ready to be in a relationship with Eminem, I'm fine with Marshall right now, I'm afraid that dating Eminem might ruin it. Melissa sits down next to me and let me cry on her shoulder. We sit there for a while not saying anything. "I'm gonna go down and talk to Dan later." I say as soon as I have my sobbing under control.
"Remember how it went with Kevin?" Melissa asks me.
"I don't care." I say.
"No you have to think it through Amelia. If you do something stupid, Dan won't show you mercy like Kevin did, because Dan doesn't give a fuck about you." Melissa says. I could really use Kevin right now, he's always been like my best friend and I could need his advice in this situation, he knows me better than anyone else, the only ones besides him who knows me just a little better is Marshall and Rachel.
"I need to clear my head." I say as I get up from the couch and go towards the front door.
"Amelia don't do anything stupid." She says as she follows right behind me. She probably thinks that I'm gonna drive out and confront Dan but I'm not gonna do that, she's right though, it could get me into some huge problems if I did.
"I promise, I won't." I say as I walk out of the door. I drive in the direction of where Kevin lives, I keep debating with myself if I should stop by or not considering what happened last time we saw each other. Marshall doesn't have the time to talk to me right now so I have no other choice, it's the only way stopping me from paying Dan a visit.
I reach the destination of my old home and I feel kinda nervous, not about seeing Kevin but about entering the house with all the memories.
I knock on the door waiting for an answer and as I hear the door being unlocked my heart skips a beat. Kevin opens the door and his eyes widen when he sees me, he only stands there with a towel wrapped around his lower part, it's clear that he just stepped out of the shower.
"Amelia." He almost whispers in surprise.
"Is it a bad time?" I ask him.
"No.. No.. Of course not." He says and let me in. "I'm just gonna go get dressed." He says when he has closed the door behind me.
"Okay." I say and offer him a tiny smile. Kevin disappears to the bathroom and I walk into the living room. It's all so different now, there's not a single piece of furniture left from when I lived here, I wonder why that can be? I walk into my old office and it's all empty, the only thing that's in there is a picture on the wall, the picture that was taken of us when we were in Paris. I run my fingers over the picture, I wonder if me and Marshall are ever gonna be able to take those kind of romantic trips like me and Kevin did? I know Marshall has the money and that he wants to do it but could we enjoy a vacation like that? I know that he also has a lot of fans in France, so we could probably never take a trip like that without being bothered like crazy.
"It was a great vacation." Kevin interrupts my thought making me jump in surprise. I have no idea how long I've been standing here but I feel embarrassed that he caught me in here. I turn around and look at him, he looks at me with that beautiful smile I always loved. "I didn't mean to scare you." He says.
"You got new furnitures." I say.
"Yes. You like it?" He asks me.
"They're nice." I say as I look shortly at the picture again. Kevin walk over and stands next to me to look at the picture of us.
"Do you remember the old French guy at that little restaurant?" He asks me. Nearby our hotel was this little restaurant where they made the most amazing food and the owner of the restaurant was this sweet old man. He kept saying to Kevin how lucky he was to have a beautiful girlfriend like me, he told Kevin that he would be stupid for not making me his wife, at that time me and Kevin weren't engaged but he did propose to me under the Eiffel Tower later on that vacation.
"It was so funny that he was so pushy when you were already planing on proposing." I laugh. The funny thing was that the old man told him, that he should do it at the Eiffel Tower when that was already Kevin's plan.
"I just remember that I thought you were so beautiful in that new dress." He says and refers the dress I'm wearing on the picture. I don't say anything because I don't know what to say, all I know is that I have this big lump in my throat right now, I know it's because of the subject.
"Why have you replaced all the furnitures?" I ask him changing the subject.
"You don't wanna know Amelia." He just sighs.
"Is it because of me?" I ask him feeling guilty right away.
"Why are you here?" He asks me. I know he's changing the subject because he doesn't wanna talk about it.
"I just really need a friend right now." I sigh.
"You know I can't just be your friend Amelia." He sighs.
"But you're the only one I need right now." I say and look at him with a begging look. "Please."
"Has this something to do with the fact that Marshall has attacked Dan Richard?" He asks me. I bite my lip and nod my head yes. I don't even need to ask where he knows it from, because I know rumors run fast in the nightclub business.
"It's all over the news. Dan is lying his ass off about this case and now he's exposed me and Marshall to the whole world." I tell him.
"What did happen?"
"Dan made me wear the most sluttiest dress and no it wasn't a work uniform, he told me if I refused to wear it then I'd get fired so I walk out there. Marshall got so angry that he grabbed the collar of Dan's neck and pinned him against the wall, but he did nothing else but that." I tell Kevin.
"Why didn't you just quit?" He asks.
"Because I wanted to keep the job, I had some nice coworkers and I got paid well." I say.
"That's not like you Amelia. The Amelia I know would've walked out of there. What happened to that Amelia?" He asks me. It hurts that he says the similar words as Marshall said to me that night.
"I just thought that if Marshall would put him in his place then he would back off and that was probably the worst idea I've ever got." I now cry and Kevin pulls me in for a hug. "This is all my fault."
"I offered you a job Amelia, why didn't you just take it?" He asks.
"I already told you." I say.
"Are you gonna let him control you?" He asks and I pull away from him.
"I was suppose to marry you Kevin." I say angrily. "It has nothing to do with him trying to control me but it hurts him too much that I was about to marry you."
"Maybe he shouldn't have taken some other's fiancé then." Kevin says angrily. I knew deep down that this was a bad idea!
"You know.. This was a bad idea Kevin." I say and I walk towards the door but Kevin grabs me around the waist from behind.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Okay?" He says and I can feel his breath on my neck.
"You're an asshole." I say coldly.
"I know. I'm sorry. Please forgive me, I promise that I won't make another stupid comment like that." He begs me to stay.
"You better not." I say and we sit down on his couch. We talk for hours about me and Marshall, my job but mostly about our past and memories. I know Kevin is bringing them up because he hopes that I'll realize how good we were together and we were good together, but that doesn't matter when I love another man.

When me and Kevin have said our goodbyes, I go out to my car and for the first time since I drove from
Melissa, I look at my phone and holy shit Marshall has been calling and texting me down.

Marshall (2:05pm)
Call me when you see this

Marshall (2:57pm)
Don't ignore me

Marshall (3:26pm)
I know you're pissed at me but it doesn't help to ignore me

Marshall (4:36pm)
Amelia for fuck sake

Marshall (5:03pm)
You know what? I'm done trying!

It's 5:44pm, shit I've been in there for quite some time. I better call him before he gets too worried.

"What?" He says when he picks up the phone and it's clear to hear that he's angry.
"I'm sorry I haven't looked at my phone for a few hours." I apologize.
"What have you been doing?"
"Just talking to Melissa."
"Okay." He says coldly.
"Why haven't you told me that Dan has reported you?"
"Because I have it under control."
"What do you we do now?"
"I don't know Amelia." He says irritated and it pisses me off so much that I can't control it any longer.
"Why the fuck are you so mad at me?!"
"I'm not mad at you Amelia, I just have a lot of shit hanging over my head!"
"You don't have to take that out on me!"
"You kinda caused this shit Amelia!" He hisses. I know that it's my fault but he doesn't have to be so fucking mean about it.
"Bye Marshall." I say and hang up.