Love Is Never Perfect

Start from the beginning

"Taylor...help me.." Her voice was weakened.

"Selena?" I was worried and utterly confused all at the same time. There was some rustling, a bang.

"Stop! P-please.." She cried. My mouth drew open.

"Why do you keep calling this guy Sel?" another voice came in. Slurred though filled with anger. I couldn't recognize the tone.. "He's not your boyfriend! I am you bitch!" He yelled before the connection went fuzzy.

Alec?

Dead air was all that filled my ears.

I just sat, frozen with shock at what I had just heard. I then urged myself up and jogged down the stairs and into my car.

I practically sped through the mazes of cars on the highway. I didn't care. My friend was in trouble and I had to be there for her. I also didn't think that Alec would ever do anything to hurt her. I knew him; he loved her. I loved her too, as a good friend, and to hear her like that... It just set me off.

I was soon driving through West Hollywood, five minutes from her house. Probably ran six red lights to get here. Cops will be after me soon enough...hmm.

The tires skidded on the concrete as I pulled next to the curb roughly. I flew out the car and ran up to the front.

Slowing my breathing down to a minimum, my heart beat was the only thing that felt like hummingbirds wings. I pushed the half-closed door slowly open, stepping onto the dark wooden flooring. It was quiet. Which scared me. I could only hear the rapid beating of my raging heart. It echoed throughout my body, the nervous sound bouncing around in my ear drums. The small squeaks of my boots on the wood. The slow ticking of the kitchen clock; taunting me. Telling me that I was too late. Time flew passed me just taking those few steps inside the home.

I made my way through the house. Checking each room. So far, everything downstairs was untouched. I swallowed, my pulse was racing, and started up the stairs. Each step I took, I tried not to make a sound. Though finally at the top, I turned the corner to the entrance of Selena's bedroom. The double doors were completely wide open, with the smell of  alcohol wafting through that space. How could that douche leave... I growled inside my spinning mind. If I had felt my phone vibrating, I would have been here earlier.. I closed my eyelids before making my presence known in the room.

I took two steps in, turning my head sharply to the right, I see Selena crumpled on the carpet. Her stark naked body, shivering like mad, was covered in bruises. The expression on her blood drawn face was pained with fear, sad and vulnerable. I reached over and grabbed a blanket from her bed, running over to her side and wrapping it around her body.

"Selena.." I whispered. My eyes widened as I stared into her unresponsive ones. I held her shoulders carefully, sitting her up against the wall. "Selena, can you hear me? It's Taylor." I tried again, stroking a wisp of her hair out of her face. Her rounds opened a bit more, though saying nothing.

I could see straight through her brown eyes. They were empty holes.

The silence drew out longer. Only the sounds of my breath and hers being heard.

"Are you okay?" I frowned slightly.

Tears immediately fell from her already damp eyes as she shook her head No. Her body then fell into mine. She sobbed constantly into my chest while I held her; rocking back and forth.

The drive back was deafeningly quiet. Of course I wouldn't leave her. Especially by herself. Sel sat with the blanket still wrapped around herself, staring into her lap. I laid my hand on her thigh once we were ten minutes from home. After eight of those ten, she timidly put hers on mine. Weaving her fragile fingers through.

---

"Hey, we're about to leave now.. What's up?"

"Selena's here." I whispered as I stood outside our room.

"What? What happened?" Claire replied.

"Claire, her boyfriend raped her." It was silent for minutes.

"Claire? A-are you there?" I stuttered.

"Oh my god, Taylor. Is she alright?"

"Physically, a lot of bruises. Mentally, no. She was pretty broken down when I found her on the floor in her room naked." I swallowed hard.

"How could this happen? I thought they were... He was.." Her tone turned uncertain of what to say.

"I know. I thought the same.. I'll explain more later, alright? Just get home safely." I sighed, leaning back against the wall and covering my eyes with my clammy palm.

"Okay. I love you."

"I love you too-" Just then, Selena popped through the door with some of Claire's sweats on. Her hair wet from showering. I hung up, slipping my cell back into my pocket. We then stared for a good five seconds before her eyebrows fell and she collapsed into my arms.

"Do you want to talk about it..." The fire crackled as we were sat on the couch in the living room. She was tucked away in two wool blankets. Her arms hugged her knees as she stared into the deep orangey red abyss. Her pupils reflecting off of the fires flames. She didn't answer. I took it as a no and settled into the couch. It was almost ten and the moon was just starting to gloom through the windows.

"Alec was drunk. Overly drunk." I turned my head towards her as she began to speak quietly. "I had never been with him like this before.. Though, I mean, who would want to?" I could see her eyes glossing over with water.

"I was scared Taylor..." Her voice was slowly starting to break, though she still didn't look at me.

"He slapped me when I told him to let go of me. It only made him worse. Making me weak. He then shoved me into the wall, thrusting his hips on me; hard. I then tried to hurt him, I thought that it would distract him for just a small second and I could escape in one piece. I beat him, punching, shoving... screaming. It didn't work. He continued doing what he wanted to do and I just stayed quiet." She took a breath. A huge knot was setting into my stomach as I listened intently.

"He took off my clothes first, then his. I didn't even bother to fight back or try to run. I had used up all my energy and it was too late. I just stood there, shaking while he stared deviously at me." A tear rolled slowly over the bridge and down her cheek. The low light of the fiery flame lit her pale face like a ghost.

"Well, then you know what happened next." She whispered, ending the story.

"Selena," I put my hand on her shoulder.

She turned to me.

"I'm so sorry."

"Me too.." Her voice broke.

I then pulled her gently into me, kissing her forehead. While her ragged breaths blew though the thin fabric of my shirt, I laid my cheek atop her head, shutting my eyelids.

Claire's POV

It was midnight as I tip toed into the house, stilettos in hand. I was completely sympathetic about what happened to Selena, and I knew it wouldn't be a problem at all for her to stay here till she was well enough.

I peeked around the corner and saw Selena laying next to Taylor on the couch. Taylor's arm curled around her protectively. I smiled at such a loyal friend he was to her. To drive an hour just to be there for her.

I set my heels down in the kitchen and walked over to where Taylor's head was laid. Pulling off his beanie, I stroked his scruffy hat hair and kissed his forehead softly. That slightest touch had his lids flutter open. I mouthed an 'I love you' as I looked into his sleepy hazel eyes. The corners of his mouth pulled up into a tired grin. His eyes then closed again and I moved over to Selena's sleeping self.

I laid my hand on top of her damp loose curls, feeling a lump in my throat. Her features peaceful at rest, I sighed thinking of how could the person you thought you loved, do this to you.

I took a breath in and exhaled it before heading up to bed.