Chapter 13: Preparations

The next day, Seeder comes to visit me in the morning. She congratulates me on my triumph. She jokes that now we’ll be neighbours. It’s a nice thought, I guess. She knows I’m still upset, though I’m trying my best to hide it.

Everyone is really nice to me. It’s because I’m twelve, and look young and innocent. I guess I am. I certainly don’t feel like it.

Seeder eats lunch with me and my mother, explaining to me what is going to happen next. Tonight we watch the summary show. Then we go to the president’s mansion for the Victory Banquet. Tomorrow is an interview with Caesar Flickman. Then we go home.

It takes me a second to remember what she means. Back to District 11. Back to my tiny three room house, quickly gather up anything we wish to keep, then go and live in the Victor’s Village. I have a feeling it won’t be that simple.

“I’m sorry, Rue.”

“For what?” I ask.

“I barely sent you or Thresh anything. It was impossible to get sponsors for you: no one thought you were worth the money. They didn’t think you’d make it.” She looks guilty. “Even I didn’t. And to be fair, you wouldn’t have except that you took advantage of other people.”

My cheeks are burning. “Advantage?”

She nods. “You didn’t want to be alone, did you? That’s because you knew you wouldn’t make it without someone stronger.”

It’s true, when I think about it.

“But I helped Thresh and Katniss as well! I showed Katniss the right food to eat, and helped Thresh get his insulin!”

She shrugs. “I suppose. Let’s move on.”

After we have eaten, Seeder sends my mother away for a while and brings in my prep team to sort me out for the show later. I can’t for the life of me remember their names; they each tell me several times, too fast for me to understand. They are fancy Capitol names, which match their fancy Capitol looks. They clean me up, hide my cuts and bruises and do my hair. My stylist comes in to give me the dress he made, and they help me get into it. How I long to have Katniss’s wonderful stylist, Cinna. He would given me something that suits me. Instead, I am given a long, tight, red gown. It would have been beautiful on someone aged eighteen or older, but on me looked as though they were forcing my age upwards.

Everything moves too fast for me from that point onwards. I am bustled to the stage, where I wait underneath for my turn to go on. First my prep team goes up, then my escort, then the stylist, then Seeder, then finally, me. As the escort is rising onto the platform, Seeder pulls me aside.

“I didn’t say this earlier; I didn’t want to worry your mother. I hear President Snow isn’t too pleased we have a completely innocent victor. He and the rest of the government would prefer someone more ruthless. I’m a little worried something is going to happen; Caesar will try to pick a fight or something like that. I don’t know if all of the Tracker-Jacker poison is gone, but if it isn’t then you might still lash out. Try to stay calm.” She hugs me. “I’m only warning you. I’m sure everything will go just fine. Bye, good luck.”

It’s her turn to go up.

I stand about idly, until someone ushers me to the podium that will raise me up. It’s weird, like being having enough food to eat was.

The bright lights startle me, but soon I regain my confidence and grin at the crowd. Caesar Flickman grins back and beckons me over to the Victor’s Chair. I sit in it, and its size compared to me makes me feel safe and hidden.

“I’m sure I talk on behalf of everyone here, when I say that we were all terribly scared for you when you won. What happened?”

Keep calm, I think to myself. He’s asking this because he’s worried.

“I got stung by a Tracker-Jacker.” There is an immediate reaction from the crowd, mostly gasps. “There must be a twenty second delay before they broadcast the Games so they cut me off. I’ll talk about it during the interview.”

Caesar smiles and I can tell that the Capitol has not told him to fight me. Does that mean something else will happen?

“I look forward to it. Now, on with the show!”