Chapter 3: Peeta

I tear through the wood.

I have to find Thresh.

I run past the girl Katniss had referred to as Foxface, the small red-headed girl. She hasn’t killed anyone yet. She isn’t a threat. I think I catch her waving at me as I pass, friendly in a strange way as at least one of us will not survive the week.

I slow to a walk, breathing hard. I’m not going to find him like this. For all I know he could be running around like me, in the opposite direction perhaps.

I find a stream and walk along the sides, scattered with mud and leaves. To my surprise, the leaves speak.

“Ow,” they say.

I lift my foot and see a face.

“Peeta?” I asked.

“Are you the girl from District 11?” he replies.

“Yes. I was with Katniss. Until she-” I bite my lip.

“I saw the sky. I heard the announcement too. I suppose you’re looking for your District partner. He went that way,” Peeta nods to the right, “Just after the announcement, I think. He didn’t see me. Probably looking for you.”

“Thanks,” I say. “Sorry about Katniss. I didn’t know her as well as you did.”

“Come closer so the cameras don’t hear,” Peeta said. I am reluctant to, in case he tries to kill me, but why was he helping me if he was going to kill me? I lean down.

“Katniss and I were trying something,” he whispered, “This star-cross’d lovers thing. Not real love or anything, but it works. It got District 12 noticed. It won’t work for us now. On my own, I mean nothing. Only when Katniss was here did anyone care about us. The Capitol will get bored and will want a new couple. Give it a try; you might get sent something.” Distant shouting makes him stop.

I get up to go. As I get up, I notice that his leg is bleeding.

“Are you ok?”

He snorted. “Do you mean do I want you to finish me off?”

I blush. “No.”

“I’ll probably die. Doesn’t matter. Katniss is gone already. I might as well.”

“You just said it wasn’t…”

He smiles sadly, so I can barely see his face. I don’t know whether he was playing along for the cameras, or whether he really feels there is no meaning to his life.

“Go. If anyone has to win, I want it to be you. Katniss would have wanted it too, I bet. “Rue” means regret. Make sure the Capitol regrets making these games.”