Hospital Nightmares, Future Dreams

Start from the beginning

My last thought:

I love you.

~~~~

"Honey... wake up.."

I was slowly being shook awake, again, by my mother. I could easily pull out her voice.

My lids flew open and immediately I said, "Is Taylor alive?"

She stared at me, eyes wide.

"Mom..." My stomach grew uneasy.

"He is alive," I relaxed then. "but in pretty bad shape sweetheart."

I just looked at her, feeling that overly annoying sting coming from my tear ducts. Though this time, I didn't care if I cried. There was no point in holding it back.

"Oh Claire.." My moms hand stroked my forehead carefully. I flinched at the small stab of pain inflicted from her light touch. I had guessed I had a cut in my head.

"What time is it? Is anyone else here? What injuries do I have? Wha-" My mom shushed my questions and told me to save my energy.

"Daddy and your brothers are here. Holly and Deborah said that they'll try and make it here by tomorrow afternoon if possible. Though a few of your friends will be here sometime in the morning.." Her voice was soft and assuring, though I could hear the exhaustion in her tone. "Debbie, Dan, and Makena are here as well.. and some of Taylor's friends. Which is nice."

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I wondered if Jack heard about this. If he did, was he going to come visit?

"And its three in the morning." She reminded me.

I closed my eyes as my brain processed everything that was being told to me.

"What happened to me?" I asked again, quivering under my skin.

She took my hand this time, "You have a few broken ribs, a gash in your head, and a broken ankle." I could tell it was hard for her to talk about this. My other hand flowed over my ribs, prodding them ever so lightly. More agony surged through me.

"My God.." I spoke under my breath.

"Bruises and cuts also, but I'm just happy that you're alive honey." She smiled.

"Wait, mom.. wasn't Vegas week supposed to be... next week..?"

"Yes, Claire. I'm sorry to say that you won't be able to do it.."

My heart sank. I couldn't believe this.

"I know how hard you've worked for it, but you'll have next year okay?"

What am I even thinking about... A couple injuries? But at least I'm breathing and not dead. Taylor's new status was almost that..

"Mom," I whispered.

"Hmm?" She looked at me.

"Where's Taylor now?"

"Right next to you sweetie," She stood and pulled the curtain quietly aside, which revealed a sleeping Taylor.

He was in bad shape. My baby. His face was covered in gashes and cuts, and a long slice was embedded in his right bicep. Most of the blood had been washed off from his skin, creating this dark dirtier color to him. I didn't want to see if there was anything else underneath those hospital sheets. All I wanted to do was to go wrap my arms around his vulnerable body and never let anything happen to him.

My mom left the curtain ajar for me to see him, saying that she loved me and that she'd be in the waiting room with the family for a while.

Now by myself, I had burnt holes in the ceiling from staring. It was dark in the tiny room, though a small gloom of the moon shone a path of light on the tiled floor.

I couldn't bear closing my eyes and falling asleep. I was afraid of what I would dream of. Something that would haunt me for the rest of my life. The blinding lights; the ear shattering brakes; the rush; the pain. Though it wasn't something that was my fault... Nor the mans fault who was sleeping just inches from me. I overheard some of the nurses talking about the accident earlier and they might have said something like about that the driver didn't make it... Lost too much precious blood. Though among that source, alcohol was infused with his organs.

Taylor's deep uneven breathing had me in broken sobs for hours. It was hard listening to how even oxygen was a challenge for him.. He would cough every so often as well. There had to be something wrong with his ribs too.

My thoughts raged on through the late night. Probably the drugs kicking in.

From marrying Taylor and having little babies with him, to playing on the beach with our thirteen year old daughter, twelve year old son, and four year old daughter.

Lily, Jason, and Ilona... (EYE-loan-uh) Ilona is my mother's middle name.

We were filled with happiness and laughter. It made me smile to see this hopeful future of ours. In this glimpse, I felt Taylor's longing warm fingers around mine. It was Heaven.

The last picture in my mind before I finally drifted away was of our family.

Taylor and Claire Lautner with three beautiful smiling faces below:

Lily Noelle Lautner, Jason Dan Lautner, and Ilona Deborah Lautner.

Our little... happy.. family..